Light-O-Rama Forums

16 ch controller, blue, a few strange output levels, 18 and 120 v

rickharp

I had some issues that I caused during Halloween, and have replaced 2 triacs. Now that the holiday is over, i tested the output on each of the 16 channels and are reading some variations that concerns me. some 120 v, some 19v. (with no pc instructions). so, first thoughts is to replace the effected triacs again, and also get a Q-tip and clean any and all residue or flux from the board.

Could there be other issues or resistors causing this? Sounds like support is running 3 weeks behind on repairs, which is to close to when i setup for christmas.

Send it in for repair or replace the triacs again???

I am assuming this "plugged in to workbench only" mode should only be providing traces of voltage at each plug. Not 18 or 120 volts.

Triacs not under load don't test reliably with a DMM... Are they controlling lights properly?

Yes, they seem to work ok, except one channel is on all the time. i can or would need to replace that triac.

Interesting. so, a 18 v test with a dig multimeter doesn't necessarily mean there are issues?

replace the one triac and i could be good to go?

Connect a non-LED light string, or even a single light bulb to the channel that your are testing. Having the channel under a load should give you a proper reading.

The channel that is staying "on." What type of lights do you have on that channel? I believe the Triacs may not turn off properly if there is too little of a load. Some LED strings appear to cause this.

Also check for solder bridges on the channel that you are having issues with.

I assume that your are not using a generator or inverter to run your show? I had issues like you describe when I was testing ideas this summer when I used certain types of inverters.

Thanks..

Channel 11 without a load is showing 72v, and channel 15 is at 109 without a load. The rest are close to 1v. i had a triac cook prety good so maybe there exists some debris that is allowing it to "arch".

When put on a load (50 lite incandelenst mini lights), the circuit measures with a DMM of 0 on both 11 and 15.

these non loaded outputs of 72v and 109v, does this seem high. is debris a likely cause. should these be a concern. Thanks for your help. i'll replace the channel 7 triac, and maybe be good to go, ey?