Light-O-Rama Forums

10/100 ethernet switch and LOR

Spud67

Will using a 10/100 ethernet switch with to control LOR controllers in two different locations? I have two controllers on the front of the house and two on the end of the garage. I would like to connect the two locations together with an ethernet switch. Can this be done or do I need another way to have them all communicate on one Cat5 to my computer?

Hi Spud,

LOR does not talk from the computer to the controllers via ethernet. It uses a form of serial that is known as RS-485. This is NOT compatible with the voltages and signaling that ethernet uses. Trying to use an ethernet device such as a switch can cause damage to both devices.

With RS-485 you can run a cable (per the book) 4000'. Let me say that again differently. You can run it 4K feet. The only limit I have seen is if you use the SC-485 adapter that goes on your serial port on the back of your computer. Using either of the USB adapters does not have a limit of how far from the computer to the first controller. So, just daisy chain from controller to controller.

There is just one other way to do this. Get two adapters and run one cable to the front and the other cable to the end of the garage.

You might want to check out the LOR Network Repeater HERE.

Has one RJ45 jack on the front and two RJ45 jacks on the back to allow the network to ‘Y’.
Is that what you are trying to do?

There also is a third party RS-485 hub that some here have reported using with good success. If I remember, they are kind of pricey.

I use the LOR Network Repeater that was mentioned by (the other) John. It works very well for "Y'ing" the network.

A 10/100 ethernet switch will damage the contollers communication chip.

I have one Cat5 running from my PC location to a termination point in the basement and one Cat5 from the garage and one Cat5 from the front of the house to that same termination point in the basement. I was hoping to network them all together at that point using some sort of hub. Could I just connect all the pairs in the Cat5 to each other at that point in the basement? Pair one from the PC to pair one of each run (front of house and garage), and so on with all the pairs in the Cat5.

Thanks for the info so far everyone. I had one controller last Christmas and this year I would like to connect the other three I bought. Two in front of the house and 2 on the end of the garage. This way I can pretty much cover the entire area.

I wouldn't do it. Just connecting the wires together without a device to provide some sort of isolation, may be detrimental to your controllers.

That layout sounds like a perfect candidate for a couple of the LOR Network Repeaters as already mentioned.

Spud67 wrote:

I have one Cat5 running from my PC location to a termination point in the basement and one Cat5 from the garage and one Cat5 from the front of the house to that same termination point in the basement. I was hoping to network them all together at that point using some sort of hub. Could I just connect all the pairs in the Cat5 to each other at that point in the basement? Pair one from the PC to pair one of each run (front of house and garage), and so on with all the pairs in the Cat5.

Thanks for the info so far everyone. I had one controller last Christmas and this year I would like to connect the other three I bought. Two in front of the house and 2 on the end of the garage. This way I can pretty much cover the entire area.

The cat 5 you have running from your PC location. Is it plugged into one of the LOR adapters? Is it plugged into the ethernet port on your computer?

If the cable is from an LOR adapter then I totally agree with John that your best option is the repeater from LOR.

Chuck

The PC is connected to the USB485 adapter, then Cat5 patch cord to the Cat5 wire on terminated on a jack. The other end of the Cat5 run is terminated on another jack in the basement.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend more money on this but if that is what it takes. I should only need one repeater, connect one jack to the PC and one to each wire run to the other two locations.

Thanks everyone.

It is a network but just for LOR. All the wire runs are direct from the main cross connect panel I installed in the basement to RJ45 jacks in the walls in certain rooms and to the jacks I installed outisde for the LOR controller locations. There is no ethernet switch in the network, I was hoping I could use one but I see I can't, I have one but haven't tried it, I thought I better ask the pros first.

With the 485B in place at the panel in the basement I can go from the PC 485 adapter to the 485B on one wire run, then from the 485B to each seperate run to my controller locations.

Cost I will not have to be a factor because just setting up a few things tonight I am running out of extension cords. Amazing how all the little things can really add up no matter what you are doing.

Thanks all.

Jeff Millard wrote:

PS The USB 485B adapter has two connections for the network. Instead of the PC being an end of the RS485 chain, it places the adapter in the middle of it similar to a controller. That might solve your problem with a little less expense...

Jeff,

I understood he needed to have three RJ45 jacks in the basement. One cat5 from the computer to the basement, then from the basement to two other locations for the LOR controllers. Still sounds like the LOR Network Repeater is needed, since it has a Cat5 input and two Cat5 outputs.

Thanks everyone, the RS485 Network Repeater is ordered.

Have a Merry LOR Christmas but Happy Thanksgiving first of all.

Good morning

I see you have ordered adapter

I have a different approach -- not better just different

I have wired my house and system with the attached concept

Thought I would add my two cents -- probably not worth that much

in todays market!

Frank A.

Attached files 184810=10488-sample_layout.jpg

Nice layout Frank but I only have one wire run to each location. I can daisy chain the controllers at each location but there is one one Cat5 to each location. PC to basmenet, basement to garage controllers and basement to front house controllers. Unless I can split the 4 pair in each wire run and create two runs in one Cat5. Ethernet only really uses two pair for a basic network. I am not sure what signal is on what wires in the 485 format.

Hi

I would not split pairs

The impedance and specific wiring twist thru

the length of the cat5 cables give it a very

good eletrical noise rejection capability. splitting

pairs may not be be advisable -- just do not know

enough about the engineering behind the cables and/or

the electronics on each end

My little drawing was my way of showing you the

advantage of adding a second cable

Frank A.;)

Thanks again but I didn't mean to split the pairs. What meant was use pair 1 and 2 for one RJ45 and pair 3 and 4 for a second RJ45 at each end and wiring it on the RJ45 to the pins required by LOR. This way making two wire runs in one Cat5.

Doesn't matter anyway, I have already ordered the network adapter.

Hi

Sorry I was not clear in my response

I did understand you wanting to use one cable

and have two separate cat5 circuits

That is what I was refering to with the cable design

You would be introducing signals within the jacketed cable

that would potentially create electrical noise on the opposite

cat5 five circuit --- just not my recommended option --

Frank A. ;)