Light-O-Rama Forums

Feeling under the gun

friskybri

Doesn't anyone else feel like they are under the gun. making arches, mini trees, structures. Arrrrrg. I think I will be setting up starting next week. want to have a few nights to test it all out before the show goes live thanksgiving day. First year doing LOR and getting really nervous.

Beside that, it's been over 90 degrees for the last week. Timetable?? Whats that??

I just hope I actually know what I'm doing. Oh well, back to the grind before it gets too hot again.

shfr26 wrote:

Timetable?? Whats that??

The abstract one I have in my head that keeps reassuring me that I will get it all done in time. I am afraid to put it down on paper for fear that I realize I am fooling myself.

And 90 degrees? Though I am sure not fun, I can tell you that ice and getting on the roof don't mix, which is usually what I am competing against mid-November. Somewhere in between would be nice!

Well Guys,

I gotta tell you, after the brain freeze I had yesterday, I must say thanks to Dan, Don and Chuck for snapping me back to reality. I was sitting here going what I do, what I do, and after their comments, I went, oh ya, that's right, that's how you do it. And thanks to them, I just finished my Halloween display this morning about 20 minutes before posting this. Man was I sweating it though. Hope everyone's display goes together without a hitch. And to the newbies, breathe, ask the questions here and these fine folks will help you all the way.

Thanks again,

Bill

Yep, I'm feeling a bit rushed myself right now too.

I had a timetable but I didn't figure in being sent out of town for work for two weeks and that's thrown me off. That and the kids are getting older now so it seems like there is almost always something going on on that front.

I have made progress this past week and I was even doing pretty good this morning but now the rain is starting so that's that.

And good luck to all the noobs... I just started with LOR last year myself and I'm finding it easier on some fronts this year but of course we added more so there is still those building sprees and long nights adding stuff to the sequences. :(

Definately feeling the pressure. Five controllers to assemble, one Megatree mostly built, one CCR to sequence, Two new songs! And thats just the new stuff!!!!!

Infact I shouldn't even be on the forums right now. :shock:

Darryl

shfr26 wrote:

I like the new name, and by the way, how long are you a noob?:D

I'd say it officially ends when you post videos of your first year's show.

If you have to ask, then you're probably behind schedule. So don't ask. And don't worry about it - just accept it as the normal condition for this time of year and have a good time making everything work. Including my static years, I've got a couple decades logged as a serious decorator and I always feel like I'm behind this time of year. The butterflies are a part of the game. It's kind of like playing in the World Series - if you don't feel a little nervous and excited you shouldn't be there. So step up to the plate, scratch yer balls, hack out a loogie and give it your best shot. As long as you don't suck too bad, people are gonna love what you do.

George Simmons wrote:

So step up to the plate, scratch yer balls, hack out a loogie and give it your best shot. As long as you don't suck too bad, people are gonna love what you do.

I absolutely love that statement... I think I'm going to print it out in large lettering and hang it over my work area for when I need "inspiration" to press on. :D

And in regards to noobness... I don't think you ever really stop being a noob. I learned a lot last year(my first with LOR) and now this year I'm learning more because I'm doing more. :D

George Simmons wrote:

I always feel like I'm behind this time of year.... So step up to the plate, scratch yer balls, hack out a loogie and give it your best shot. As long as you don't suck too bad, people are gonna love what you do.

Thank You George!

Attached files 184647=10475-22158.jpg

Last year was my first year animating my lights. There is no one else with a 150 miles of my location using an animation system to the light displays. I felt very much on my own "learning" how to make it work.

My only salvation was this site. I had lots of support and encouragement when I was feeling overloaded trying to make it all work.

Last year I did get it all working and I received lots of compliments. I finished up my first Halloween LOR show this year and it really was a hit and got lots of positive feedback.

I now have two controllers, a EDM radio and a whole new perspective on what I can do with my lights and displays. As you get a handle on things your ideas will evolve and the need for more channels will come as well.

Just jump in and go for it.

My Saturday work progress.

2.5 hours double checking sequences that were done.

2.0 hours touching up said sequences.

1.0 hours hooking up controllers to show computer

2.0 hours looking for done sequences that went AWOL.

30 minutes packing LOR equip and cords into boxes, and having adult beverages.

1.0 hour complaining that I will never look at this stuff again

8 hours of sleep

Sunday

1.5 hours looking for and finding lost sequences, Still don't know how they got out of folder.

1/2 hour unpacking everything , And here I am again, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess..

George Simmons wrote:

The butterflies are a part of the game. It's kind of like playing in the World Series - if you don't feel a little nervous and excited you shouldn't be there. So step up to the plate, scratch yer balls, hack out a loogie and give it your best shot. As long as you don't suck too bad, people are gonna love what you do.

George.... Home Run! Touch 'em all Bro. That was hilarious.

George Simmons wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
I like the new name, and by the way, how long are you a noob?:D

So step up to the plate, scratch yer balls, hack out a loogie and give it your best shot.

That was hilarious!:D

Don't sweat it, just do it! I currently have 32 channels and I really need to go to 48. I have been working on my decorations and layout and 32 just will not cut it for me. I have been trying to see where I can combine but having crunched the number I either have to give up a major part of my display or get another controller.

Over the next two weeks I have 50 hour+ work weeks plus a four day training conference for my EMT training all before Thanksgiving lightup. I guess I am going to be putting displays out in the dark this year to be ready for Thanksgiving.

Instead of going all out for Halloween I should have been working on my Christmas displays. Oh, well it always works out each year. This is my second year with LOR and I started from scratch last year three weeks before Thanksgiving. I kept refining my programming on the fly each night as I learned how to do things.

This year I have a much better idea of what I can do and I still feel like a NOOB! A little bit more improved this year though. I feel the stress and now I have to program for another controller so I can finish my display this year.

I just put my mega tree pole up yesterday and the wife comes home and says why is that up?, so i gave her a rundown of what needed to get done before thanksgiving and she said i better get busy lol.

toddmoon wrote:

I guess I am going to be putting displays out in the dark this year to be ready for Thanksgiving.

I'm always out there in the dark!! :)

Last year my neighbours and my wife thought I was nuts when I was out there at 3 a.m. Got a little behind schedule.

Darryl

I *think* I'm getting back on schedule. Worked all day today getting the third snowflake trail built along with more LOR network wiring. Tomorrow I should get the Bethlehem Star put on the house and *hopefully* the mega-tree built.

I'd like to have a week before Thanksgiving to get timings absolutely correct.

Great hobby... awesomely great! :)

shfr26 wrote:

I like the new name, and by the way, how long are you a noob?:)

I guess we're noobs until we're not. :D

Cray