Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you guys do it

Dan Lott

Newer user here and i am almost ready for the big lighting coming up soon. What i would like to know is how you guys build and make your own website. That is the one thing i do not have for this years display and looking online there are so many "web site builders" i do not know which one to go with. i do not mind paying small fee. just wanting to know what you guys use or have used and what to stay away from. Also looking for a how to or pointers on how to build one. Any help would be great.

I use Microsofts' Frontpage...but I had a small e-commerce website for about five years.

Don't know if you would need anything more than what they offer from the host of your website.

But something like Frontpage does make it easier, and a lot more versatile.

PS: I do know that some "Free" websites don't allow you to use a third party software like Frontpage to upload your website...so just depends on how much you do want to spend

i like FREE it looks like on 1&1 you have to pay 9.99 after the first 30 day free trail that i know of weebly is free unless you want to upgrade to pro for 4.95 a month

-Christopher

I use 1&1. They have awesome customer service. I have had them 2 years now, if you pay 6 month blocks I think it is 30.00. We get 2 websites with that. Also we use Net Objects for building the website. If you get stuck 1&1 will walk you thru Net Objects. They are the Best.

I used the “Save as WEB Page” option in Microsoft Word for last year’s page. It looked like something straight out of 1995… :) (It was a last-minute thought – I registered the domain on November 28th of last year.)

This year I am using the free blog software from http://www.wordpress.org to run the website. With the additional themes and plug-ins, it is highly customizable!

There are multiple hosting options… From upload the code / maintain it yourself, to pre-configured, you just add content! (I believe they have links on the WordPress website to different options.)

I also use 1 and 1. You can view my site here - http://www.thielchristmas.com

I used the 1 and 1 website builder tool and their template. It was very easy to setup.

As mentioned before, their customer service is outstanding.

If you want to use something other than the website builder supplied from 1 and 1 (you are limited to the number of pages with their tool) I would suggest First Page 2006 from Evrsoft. The best thing - it is FREE!

Here is the link to Evrsoft First Page 2006 - http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage3.shtml

I have started rebuilding my Christmas site using First Page but I probably won't load it until after the season.

You may also want to keep in mind when hosing with free website hosting companies that you may not be able to search for your site via the internet.

Try to search with Google, Yahoo or Bing and see what you get.

If this does not matter to you, then the free route may be good enough.

Personally I like the fact that anyone can search for my site on any of the major search engines and find it.

ShawnT wrote:
Personally I like the fact that anyone can search for my site on any of the major search engines and find it.

I now have a 1 and 1 site but when i type it in a main search engine it does not come up how did you make yours do that.

How long have you had the site up?

It could take a day or two before the search engine knows it is even there.

what's the name of your site?

edit: Dumb question...it's the one in your signature, huh?

edit 2: the only places I see your site coming up in a search is from the LOR and Planet Christmas forums...

You can also search the major search engines on how to add your URL. Some may require you to add a line of meta code to your page for verification. This is the best way.

Also with 1 and 1 you should have received a voucher for google. This will allow you to add your site to the search engine as well.

1 and 1 has a lot of information on this. Just browse through the FAQ.

Also I viewed your keywords. You need to add a lot more. This helps search engines. This is what you have - meta name="keywords" content="Christmas lights, Dan Lott, Hudsonville"><

Ok putting more keywords in one thing is when putting in two words as a keyword do you put a space in between the to words or just write the keyword as one. Like Christmaslights, or Christmas lights, never done this. Also i used the google tool i had and also submited my url with another one of there tools and they said it would take up to 72 hours.

Dan Lott wrote:

Ok putting more keywords in one thing is when putting in two words as a keyword do you put a space in between the to words or just write the keyword as one. Like Christmaslights, or Christmas lights, never done this. Also i used the google tool i had and also submited my url with another one of there tools and they said it would take up to 72 hours.

Use the words that you think people would do a search on..so more than likely it would be Christmas Lights. I would even go as far as making it Christmas Lights, Christmas, Lights.

Think of how you do searches...more than likely that is how most people will look also.