Light-O-Rama Forums

on The Leaping Archsarches

John Ciuffo

It all depends on how many channels you would like to use 10 channels 1' 9 channels 1.1' 8 channels 1.25' 7 channels 1.42' 6 channels 1.66' 5 channels 2' 4 channels 2.5' 3 channels 3.33'. When i made my arches i think it was about 9 " for one strand of lights packed togeather i used 200 lights per channel 9 channels which ended up to be a 14' arch.

I figured an average of fourteen inches per set of 100 minis. The first few strings went a bit longer than 14 inches and then, as each set of lights wound around an increasingly thick pole the lineal distance decreased . The last set of lights went about 12 inches. I use zip cord spliced into the set so I can run the cord with the male end the length of the pipe and then wrap other light sets over it. That keeps all my plugs in one place and eliminates cords dangling from the arch/pole. Altogether I use seven sets of 100's on my arches and nine sets on my light poles.

I made mine 17" for 7 channels. 6" 100 count mini's need to be folded in half to give good coverage. You want your leaper to look like a porcupine. If you leave the lights unfolded you get a spiral of lights around the pipe with a flat spot of wire between. I found 3" mini's work better. My 20 footers are made the same way, 17" for 14 channels.

James Shelby wrote:

...mini's need to be folded in half to give good coverage. ...If you leave the lights unfolded you get a spiral of lights around the pipe with a flat spot of wire between. I found 3" mini's work better.

Good points. Avoid light sets with bulbs spaced 4" apart if you're using 3/4" PVC. No mater how you wind them the lights have that spiral effect James mentioned. I've also found that light sets with 3" spacing work best. In my opinion, the biggest reason to "fold over" the light sets is that is half of a set goes dark, you'll at least have some coverage instead of a 13" dark spot in your arch.

Here is one for you guys. I have 20 and 10 foot leapers with 14 and 7 channels. I would like, for next year, to build some smaller leapers like 5 channels. How would that look, is it just a smaller version of the bigger ones?????

It would be a whole family of leapers. No i think that would be pretty awesome you could even stick the smaller leapers under the bigger ones. Just wondering if they were to small it would just look blob of lights. Would have to build a test one before ya know though.

Actually, it looks more than cool. I made two smaller sets of arches this summer and did quite a bit of sequencing for them before deciding I wanted to use those channels for something else this year. I made one arch using 50 ct minis and a smaller one using 35 ct minis (this one on 1/2" pvc) and basically nested them beneath the std size arch. I used 7 channels on each. (I think if you're going less than seven channels on an arch the motion is going to look very choppy and very likely would detract from what you're trying to achieve.) Having three arches aligned vertically like that makes for some really interesting options and patterns. I'm definitely gonna add that next year. Try it in the visualizer - I think you'll like it.

George Simmons wrote:

I used 7 channels on each. (I think if you're going less than seven channels on an arch the motion is going to look very choppy and very likely would detract from what you're trying to achieve.)
Well then, I wanted to have three per controller but it's all your fault, I'll need to buy more controllers for next year. How long is your short leaper?

James Shelby wrote:

How long is your short leaper?

I've been waiting two days for someone to take a swing at hitting that one out of the park...

I'm not entirely sure it's any of your business James, but to be truthful I've never measured the exact length of my "short leaper". I've held it lovingly in both hands on a number of occasions, and spent plenty of time stretching it out in the garage during the summer, but I never measured it. Tell you what - I'll whip it out the next time I'm in the garage and take a whack at it with a yardstick and then report back to you.

Your sooooo funny. Well then. I'm reading post on 5 channel leapers but I still like the idea of 7 channel leapers. When you find some quite time alone let me know how long it is.

Okay, it turns out that I did both of the smaller arches on 1/2" stock. The arch with the 50's is 70" long and the arch with the 35's is 50". (seven channels each) I have about six inches of bare pvc on each end of each arch to help keep them out of the snow.

Hi George,

Arches are so "last year".

I want to know how many channels you have on your vertical poles? they look like a water show!

also, I love the face singing!

Thanks,

ron

rstately wrote:

I want to know how many channels you have on your vertical poles?

Nine. Last year all the poles were controlled as one. This year I've added three more poles and nine more channels to the effect so there's more I can do. Hoping to add even more channels to it next year... maybe even add a few made from LED's for Jeff's enjoyment...

George Simmons wrote:

rstately wrote:
I want to know how many channels you have on your vertical poles?

Nine. Last year all the poles were controlled as one. This year I've added three more poles and nine more channels to the effect so there's more I can do. Hoping to add even more channels to it next year... maybe even add a few made from LED's for Jeff's enjoyment...

They Look Great!

also you're seqencing is Awsome!

If you're using LED's for Jeff, you should also use a Mac with windows7 to run the show. I think that's how he would do it.

BTW who won that game tonight?

Ron

• 1 month later...