Light-O-Rama Forums

iDMX status and data leds

ItsMeBobO

So I am trying to use the iDMX I bought last year.
Its not controlling my RGB wallwasher and I am trying to troubleshoot.

HWU finds iDMX. I see 16 units starting with E0. On console I am selecting DMX mode and selecting E0.

I cant tell that any signal is sent. Should the data light go solid on when a new command is sent? It blinks at the same rate all the time.

The RGB wallwasher never does anything. I am trying to determine if the signal is getting to the light. Or if the light address or something else on the light is set wrong.

This is the light
http://www.wdmlighting.com/PDF-files/wdm/ColorWash.pdf

This is the remote. Note its a different brand label.
http://www.bulbamerica.com/files/PDFs/Documents/LED%20Lighting/ELAR%20manual.pdf

The remote does control most but not all the functions of the light. Manual color setting, flash, autorun, speed, program, and black out all work.

When I set the address (S 0 0 1) it responds with the expected red, green, then back to white.

However I do not get the expected blink when I try to set the DMX mode, which is 3 channel RGB or 5 channel RGB plus strobe and dimmer. I am unable to tell which mode its in as all LEDS go off instead of the expected blink. I could work with either and have tried both with Console but nothing happens.

I went ahead and updated iDMX firmware which appears to have worked. Also reset by holding select and plugging in Cat5.

Well Hello BobO

I unfortunately have to ask a few questions for a clearer

image of what your configuration is.

1. Are you 3 channel mode (green leds flashing)

2. Are you 5 channel mode (blue leds flashing)

3. What is the address of dmx1000 (still EO)

4. What LOR channel/channels are you using to send data

I have two different units from Chauvet, and it is necessary to program

the strobe to full on (lor=100% --- dmx=255) on one unit but the other unit

the strobe must be set to off(lor 0% --- dmx 000)

These had to be set before I could control the RGB channels.

I personnally would set the unit to 5 channel and designate a dimming and strobe channel --- that way I know I control whats being sent to those channels --- no reason other than my way of doing things.

I will check later today, when I get to my dmx1000 and fill you in on the staus indicators and what how they respond ---- just don't remember

Frank A.;)

below is led status from LOR manual

I will still verify later and let you know

Data LED

Blinks once for every 40 DMX packets transmitted if

no DMX input detected on the DMX In connector.

Steady on when a DMX input signal is being passed

through to the DMX output.

Status LED

LED blinking approximately twice/second: Controller

has booted correctly and is waiting for commands.

The controller is not connected to a Light O Rama

network or the network is not active.

LED is on solid: Controller is connected to an active

network (is receiving the heartbeat and commands

from a PC, a Show Director or another controller)

LED blinks on for a long pulse and off for a short

pulse: Controller firmware needs to be downloaded.

See the Updating Controller Firmware section.

LED flutters: Controller is running a standalone

sequence or downloading firmware.

Frank A.;)

Make sure your cables are running the right way, from the iDMX out, to the in on the fixture. Unfortunately, those are a bit different than the WDM colorbar 19's, as they only do the 5 channel mode. On them, the address sets the same way, but there is no blink on setting DMX mode, and there is no way (that I have seen) to set a 3 channel mode. On mine, just setting E0, 1, 2, 3, & 4 to 100%, should result in full on white for the unit at DMX address 1...

One more important note. On the colorbar 19's, if the DMX signal is received, the remote is not functional. You need to have set the DMX address and DMX mode before plugging in the iDMX...

-klb- wrote:

Make sure your cables are running the right way, from the iDMX out, to the in on the fixture.  Unfortunately, those are a bit different than the WDM colorbar 19's, as they only do the 5 channel mode.  On them, the address sets the same way, but there is no blink on setting DMX mode, and there is no way (that I have seen) to set a 3 channel mode.  On mine, just setting E0, 1, 2, 3, & 4 to 100%, should result in full on white for the unit at DMX address 1... 

One more important note.  On the colorbar 19's, if the DMX signal is received, the remote is not functional.   You need to have set the DMX address and DMX mode before plugging in the iDMX... 

Thanks for helping everyone. Still struggling.
The remote does function when the DMX cable is plugged in! Able to flash, blackout, change RGB colors while plugged in. Does that mean light is not getting any signal?

There is NO blink of Green or Blue when I press DMX Mode. Light manual says there are two modes but does not say it should blink when changing, the remote manual says the light should blink.

HWU finds 16 controllers starting with E0 so I think that is what iDMX is set too. I forced new unit id, which it found, and changed it back and it has found E0 again so I am good with that.

I only have one cable which is plugged correctly but honestly I dont know for sure that it works. I bought it with the light. It has a weather resistant female on one end and a regular XLR male going into the iDMX out. There is nothing in the in DMX jack on the iDMX or the DMX out on the light.

The console requires me to enter the unit which I do to E0. At the top it shows the unit address E0.001 ... and the DMX channels 001 002 003 etc.

I slide all 5 to 100/255 and nothing happens.

It may be that the fixture has not made it into DMX mode. The WDM remote does not specify all the details of how each fixture goes into DMX mode, but rather refers you to the product manual, and the on line documents for the fixtures don't specify how to command them. I seem to remember getting a much more detailed document with my fixture, but I have no idea where it would be, and it is a 5 channel only fixture. I wonder if you get a different behavior if you unplug the DMX cable, and try DMX 5, or DMX 3, to try and tell it 3 or 5 channel mode... Or DMX 1 vs DMX2.. You never know exactly what they were thinking when the designed these.

Two more ideas.

Try DMX +, or DMX - as possible ways to select the 3 or 5 channel mode...

Also, check which DMX polarity you are running. I think mine is running normal, but it might not hurt to try both..

Let's hope it is not that the remote sends the wrong code for the DMX button...

I note that the elation document states that the DMX mode should be set before setting the address. Maybe try that with the cable disconnected.

Tried DMX mode key followed by 1,2,3,5,+,- all acted same way, all leds go off. But I agree with you, its not in DMX mode. If I can get it there it will work.

Family obligation...back in 5 hours.. arg

Good afternoon

Just checked idmx1000

leds work as described above

status on steady whn communicating on network(playing song)

data blinking at a steady rate

I would start over with the setup

Start with the Elation Architectural Instructions

NO XLR CABLE CONNECTED

Select AUTORUN (hopefully this will take you out of dmx mode)

move down in the manual to DMX Control

Do item 1. (I would chose 5 channel)

do item 2.

Just for info: I just sent a unit back to manufacturer (doa) unit would not even do the autorun or built in programs (was a different manufacturer)

Frank A.

Thanks again Frank and KLB for all the tips and interest in helping.

I have tried everything and finally resorted to a support email to WDMlighting.com No response yet as its a weekend.

A good thing I found is that "WDM Lighting" and "Elation" both appear to be brands of "Wiedamark". This was concerning me as the light was sold with WDM label and the remote by Elation label so I thought the remote may not be 100% compatible. The same two items are sold by both names and look exactly the same in the pictures on various reseller websites. The manuals, while different in layout, contain almost exactly the same words.

The last thing which I have not checked is the cable. I need to make sure the wires connect end to end with a meter.

:D :D :D :D Frank A talked me through it! Its working now!

The broken appliance works properly for the repairman!

I am thinking that any key on the remote will knock the colorwasher out of DMX mode. Since the light went dark after hitting the DMX key, I was pressing R to set a color and the light would come back on. But no longer in DMX mode. Also pressing + or - and 1 2 etc to try and set the 3 5 channel mode. All of those knocked it out of DMX mode. Silly me has major egg face.

Tech support did not reply yet but thats ok.

Thanks again Frank A from Ohio !

• The topic was locked