Light-O-Rama Forums

License problem?

rushonerok

A while ago I installed LOR version 2.6.3. It asked me for my license information which I put in. I've been using it for a while but today when I opened the sequence editor it came up with a message saying that it was in demo mode and that I needed to register it. When I clicked on the register button it brought up the screen for me to put in my info again but I didn't have to type it in because my info was pre-filled in the text boxes. I clicked OK then closed and re-opened the sequence editor. I don't get that message any more but now I wonder, did it just use up one of my licenses again? I think you have 4 times that you can install it right? Did it use one when I first installed it and then another one because of this bug?

Possibly. If you contact LOR support either now, or in the future, when you have license count issues, you should be able to explain this, and get your license count bumped up. Most likely something in your PC has changed, and may look similar to what it used to, so they will be able to see that it most likely is the same system.

Did you just upgrade to windows 7?

ETA, sometimes Windows changes its mind about the order it reports some system parameters. This could mess up a licensing scheme that depends on one of those parameters.

I wonder if something in the MSDN version changes the way it reports, now that we have passed the official Windows 7 release date?

Can someone else help cause I dont think this guy knows what he is talking about. Thanks anyways guy. I'm just going to get some better software if I run out of "licenses" because of this.

If they really feel that they are losing money from people sharing their software then controlling licensing isn't the way to go. Even software giants like Microsoft and Adobe can't keep people from cracking their stuff.

A better solution would be to limit the software to only control LOR hardware. Less headache for LOR and their customers. Sure they won't be making money off of the software any more but now instead of buying a competitors hardware they will buy LOR's hardware.

If you don't trust KLB who has been around a long time, then I say start seraching. there are plenty of other post stating the same issue. BOB the programmer has even said the same thing. But since you don't care to believe the help in this post I wonder if you will believe the help in the other posts.

You come here for help and then question what you get.

You come on here asking for help and when you get it you say, You don't know what your talking about??? If you don't know whats wrong how can you say the advise is wrong???? If you do not like the advise, don't come on the thread!!

rushonerok wrote:

Can someone else help cause I dont think this guy knows what he is talking about.

No good dead goes unpunished. KLB, stop helping people. What do you think this is, a help forum?

Guest wbottomley

shfr26 wrote:

You come on here asking for help and when you get it you say, You don't know what your talking about??? If you don't know whats wrong how can you say the advise is wrong???? If you do not like the advise, don't come on the thread!!

Some of us have been around here more than a few months! :X

From the thread: http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum55/20000.html the last paragraph Bob has said "If you upgrade to this from an earlier release, it might ask you to activate your license again. This will not use up one of your license seats."

If you don't think anyone can help here, I suggest to call LOR's support line at 518-539-9000 or send an email to support@lightorama.com .

Have a nice day!

Yes it's true, I'm new here but I always trust the answers I get and I don't try to be demeaning. I just meant If you don't know how can you say someone else is wrong? If I offended anybody, I'm sorry, just stating my opinion. I think this forum is great and it helps alot of people with issues they have. Hope all have a great lighting season this year.

shfr26 wrote:

Yes it's true, I'm  new here but I always trust the answers I get and I don't try to be demeaning.  I just meant If you don't know how can you say someone else is wrong?  If I offended anybody, I'm sorry, just stating my opinion.  I think this forum is great and it helps alot of people with issues they have.   Hope all have a great lighting season this year.

I think William may have been directing his comments toward the original poster, but I shouldn't speak for him...

-Tim

As -klb- indicated, it could be because something has changed about your PC, perhaps even something that you are unaware of. In a case like this, it is possible that one of your license seats will be used. However, if you ever run into a problem where you've inappropriately run out of license seats because of something like this, you can contact LOR customer support and they will straighten things out for you.

There are other possibilities for why this would have happened; for example, perhaps you're using a new version, and your PC has to ask our server whether your license is valid for that version or not; perhaps an overzealous registry cleaning program wiped some of the data that we save to the registry. In cases like this, it will definitely not use up one of your license seats.

Guest wbottomley

Tim Fischer wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
Yes it's true, I'm new here but I always trust the answers I get and I don't try to be demeaning. I just meant If you don't know how can you say someone else is wrong? If I offended anybody, I'm sorry, just stating my opinion. I think this forum is great and it helps alot of people with issues they have. Hope all have a great lighting season this year.

I think William may have been directing his comments toward the original poster, but I shouldn't speak for him...

-Tim

Thank you Tim... you're exactly right.

You too have been around and understand how this equipment works.

Guest wbottomley

You know Jeff...

This license thing has been so complicated for some people.

My advice, just upgrade and if you can't register it, call LOR or send them an email. The sequencer will still be functional in demo mode.

Don't let something this small hamper your display. :D

Of course... that's not directed towards you.

You're part of the beta crew, lol!

just got the same problem again today. started up the sequence editor and it told me i needed to register again.

good job with the bugs keep them coming!

no i havent changed anything all all with my system in the last 3 days. you guys are just f-ing retarded trying to argue with me. get a life.

You have an answer from one of the LOR developers above. Especially with the recurrence, I'd suggest contacting LOR support to see if they can help identify exactly why your system is loosing track of its license status.

This same problem has been reported before. Several threads on the topic.

You may try to totally remove LOR. Use the reg wipe program and I would even do the installer cleanup program and then try to install fresh. Granted this MIGHT use a seat but as has been stated. If valid explanation then that is a small issue.

Chuck