Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller stand

Bartman

Mountainwxman wrote:

cenote wrote:
John, I'm sorry for this humor, Just made me LOL picturing you grabbing these boxes from the local store, and running down the street...Just joking or coarse.

Pretty cool idea

LMAO!

Chuck, that's the funniest thought I've had recently.

William,

You've seen the tall one. I had it in Charlotte last June at the mini. You attached your wireless trigger receiver to it. Where did you think I got them? :P

Guest wbottomley

JBullard wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
cenote wrote:
John, I'm sorry for this humor, Just made me LOL picturing you grabbing these boxes from the local store, and running down the street...Just joking or coarse.

Pretty cool idea

LMAO!

Chuck, that's the funniest thought I've had recently.

William,

You've seen the tall one. I had it in Charlotte last June at the mini. You attached your wireless trigger receiver to it. Where did you think I got them? :)

I remember them.

And, I saw sand come out of your shoe while there. Did you get new ones that weekend? :P

the few that I saw I would be afraid someone would steal them. I was thinking for putting rebar in the ground in a "A" and attach the box to that so when someone tried to pull up it wouldn't come up. Anyone have issues with them being taken.

friskybri wrote:

the few that I saw I would be afraid someone would steal them. I was thinking for putting rebar in the ground in a "A" and attach the box to that so when someone tried to pull up it wouldn't come up. Anyone have issues with them being taken.

Some of mine have molded loops for attaching cable or chain. And remember the base is full of sand. I have to use two-wheelers to move them around.

Issues with them being taken? Yeah, that's called stealing!! And most of these have a retail price of approx $ 600 new.

The 9 that I have were given to me by a friend that had a "Free Publication" business. He went out of business last year due to not being able to sell enough advertising to keep going. These were the most "beat up" of the ones he had, which was fine with me, I was going to paint them anyway. He kept the better condition boxes to try to resell.

I was just working on a controller stand idea myself and I wanted to see what you guys thought. The picuture is somewhat self explanatory but basicaly you keep the 1.5" PVC in the ground all year and just remove the cap to put your controler poll in. I was thinking of sinking the 1.5" PVC about 2 feet down. Maybe that is too far?

Jeremy

Attached files 183191=10422-stand.bmp

brownjm74 wrote:

I was just working on a controller stand idea myself and I wanted to see what you guys thought. The picuture is somewhat self explanatory but basicaly you keep the 1.5" PVC in the ground all year and just remove the cap to put your controler poll in. I was thinking of sinking the 1.5" PVC about 2 feet down. Maybe that is too far?

Jeremy

Not that I have decided exactly what I am going to be doing with mine (1st year), but my initial impression is that it does appear that your stand idea would make it very easy to remove the controller (by thieves)--slides right out. Probably be wise to anchor it down somehow.

Guest wbottomley

My good friend Robin in Florida has the best idea of all. He said that people don't steal ugly things and he's right.

I have a modified version of the controller stand that makes them less obivious to the viewers.

brownjm74 wrote:

I was just working on a controller stand idea myself and I wanted to see what you guys thought.  The picuture is somewhat self explanatory but basicaly you keep the 1.5" PVC in the ground all year and just remove the cap to put your controler poll in.  I was thinking of sinking the 1.5" PVC about 2 feet down.  Maybe that is too far?   

Not sure what you're gaining with the ground socket. For things like mega-trees they make sense, because you can concrete them in and they can withstand a lot of weight. But with controllers, not sure what this gains you over just pounding a stake/pipe in the ground, other than complexity... Am I missing something :D

I'm a firm subscriber to the "keep it as cheap and simple as possible" school of thought. I also like the "keep it ugly" theory - which is why I'm not a fan of the "Danger keep out High Voltage" signs -- they just draw attention to your controllers that otherwise might just blend in (or people might just think they're holding standard electrical connections...)

-Tim

brownjm74 wrote:

Jeremy
Jeremy,

If you look up at the picture in my previous post in this thread, it is fairly similar to what you want to do. I, like the others, worry about theft, which is why my rebar goes at least 18" (I'm thinking about making it 30") into the ground and I cap the remaining exposed 18" of rebar with a screwed on grounding clamp to prevent easy theft removal. I then hide the whole thing with an old corrugated plastic sign decorated to look like a present.

With your socket idea, it becomes more of a permanent location, and I think you might want to move the controller one year to the next to fit cord length or hide it behind something. Then you would have to move the socket, too. Just my thoughts.

Richard

I should mention that since my "pound-in stakes" aren't very theft-proof (although a good ground freeze makes them pretty hard to get out), for security I use thick plastic-coated cable and padlock them to the nearest fixed object. I'm sure a good bolt-cutters would make easy work of them, but it prevents all but the most determined crooks -- and they're going to find a way anyway...

-Tim

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I would agree about trying to go as cheep but effective. I live in a subdivision and everyone knows about everything. Hell we don't have to tell the neighbors that were going on vacation, they just observe and know. So theft is not something I am to concerned with however I think for this year, being my first, I will go with the rebar and PVC pipe over-top like in Richards photo. See how this works and go from there. Beside I already have the rebar for holding my 6" Firework Mortar tube Rack in place.

Jeremy

• 3 years later...

I see many stands with the plugs on the ground, not a good idea where we live, lots of rain with standing water could cause problems with fuses and controllers

, + the vampire plugs don't like water at all, mostly the males,

I see many stands with the plugs on the ground, not a good idea where we live, lots of rain with standing water could cause problems with fuses and controllers

, + the vampire plugs don't like water at all, mostly the males,

Try here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/17336-hiding-controllers-outside/

or here: http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/25935-where-to-put-controllers/