Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller stand

Bartman

OK I have searched and can not find what I know I saw on here once before. Does anyone remember the plans someone posted for an outside controller stand. It was made of wood I believe...

I know it would be simple to cobble one up on my own, yet the one I saw was simple and effective.

Any help would be appreciated.

Halloween 1st year...32 channels and I am ready...I think

I will post some video when I get it all up next weekend. Been seq'ing for a month and have even custom made some "Ghouls" that have individual lighted eyes and a pumpkin chorus. we will see what it looks like. as always thanks for all the assistance.

Bart

I have one stand behind bushes. Is is simply a T made out of 2x4's pounded into the ground. It holds 2 controllers. A tree and the mega tree hold the other controllers. How many are you trying to place on the stand?

iresq wrote:

I have one stand behind bushes.  Is is simply a T made out of 2x4's pounded into the ground.  It holds 2 controllers.  A tree and the mega tree hold the other controllers.  How many are you trying to place on the stand?

That's all I do, except I use 1x4's and each only holds a single controller.

Cost was free, since I had all the materials already.

-Tim

I made some last year out of plastic file bins I bought at Staples.
It keep the boxes inside nice and dry and let me run the cords through the bottom so the plugs were inside as well.
Hopefully here are a couple pictures.

Attached files 182911=10413-100_0256.JPG

As this is my first year with LOR, my setup is not nearly elaborate as some of the previous setups, but I thought I would share anyway.

First I attach a 1" x 6" pressure treated board to the case with rubber grommets between the board and the case and seal the bolt holes with silicone . With the 18" long board touching the ground there is plenty of room for the cords to come out horizontal. I then attach a 1/2" I.D. grey electrical conduit to the back of the board with clamps.

I pound a 3' long 1/2" rebar 17" into the Georgia clay and slide the PVC pipe over the rebar. That leaves enough rebar at the top to screw on a grounding clamp so it is not easily removed. If I need to take it in for any reason, the grounding clamp can be unscrewed and the entire unit slides right off.

I place a decorated Christmas present formed from corrugated sign material around the entire box so it is hidden somewhat from the general public. It just looks like I have Christmas presents scattered around the display. By the way, my local sign ordinance guy reluctantly gave me a number of illegally placed signs that he picks up for dump disposal. I had to convince him that the signs would not go back up as signs. He recently called me to ask if I needed more. B)
Richard

Attached files 182936=10415-IMG_0037 (Medium).JPG

I purchased 4 foot "U posts" at Home Depot. I use two per controller and simply drive them in the ground. They came with a green enamel coating and I think they are attractive, inexpensive and outdoor ready. It results in a stand with a very light weight appearance.

There was zero construction time. They have holes pre-drilled in them and I just bolt the controllers on to them.

I use the 1602W controllers which have weatherproof enclosures and I do not put them inside yet another case.

To save on extension cord expenses, I place the controllers around the yard as near to the lights they are controlling as practical. I haven't needed to build a larger stand to hold many controllers. Some displays would require this, but mine doesn't.

Al I can say is WOWZA!!!!

William your design is the ones I remember (Top Photo). The pic gives me enough to fabricate mine. The other one with wheels may be a year 3 project. I plan on going to 6 boxes-16 channels per.

Thought I would "Daisy Chain" to keep the length of extension cords down.

Only using 1 box for Halloween and I put 2 carpenters stakes together with 2 -12X1's to mount the box and wireless box.

Thanks for all the replies. Gives me food for thought for the future as well as provides guidance for this year...Thanks...

Bart - Texas

cenote wrote:

John, what kind of box is that you are using for the last pic, bluish?

I have 9 of the "Free Publications" type of boxes that you see sitting outside of convience stores, etc. They are very weather resistant (made to keep paper products dry, etc) and have from 50 to 80 pounds of sand in the base, so also theft resistant. All of them are now sprayed with green paint. The other pics were from last year. Here is another view before painting and installing the controllers.

8x6NewStands.jpg

My stands are like Williams, but my cords vary in length from 5 feet to 20 feet this limits the number of connection.

Thomas

John, I'm sorry for this humor, Just made me LOL picturing you grabbing these boxes from the local store, and running down the street...Just joking or coarse.

Pretty cool idea

Guest wbottomley

cenote wrote:

John, I'm sorry for this humor, Just made me LOL picturing you grabbing these boxes from the local store, and running down the street...Just joking or coarse.

Pretty cool idea

LMAO!

Chuck, that's the funniest thought I've had recently.

cenote wrote:

Pretty cool idea

Remember the 80 pounds of sand in the base?

It helps to have a buddy, back the truck up as close as possible, drop the tailgate, one on each side of the box, slide it in on its back, then get the heck out of there. Best wearing dark clothes, late at night :P