Light-O-Rama Forums

Soliciting Business

iresq

OK. I've already said what I think about soliciting. Now, let's stir the pot (and no, this isn't intended to digress from the spirit of the original post).

What do we think when a forum user posts a message saying he is selling, say, two of his 1602 controllers? In a way, this is much like someone offering to sell their sequences. And it may mean 2 fewer 1602s that LOR will sell. But somehow I have less of a problem with this. (Maybe the thought of getting a couple of controllers for $100 less each kind of colors my opinion.)

THE EXCEPTION - about a month ago, someone popped on the forum -- new forum user, first post, etc. He was offering a couple of controllers (if I remember correctly) for sale. BUT, it appeared from his writing that he knew nothing about them, how they worked, or what to do with them. Now maybe he inherited them. But the more a read, the more it sounded like he might have gotten them in a more nefarious manner. I have no real proof of this. But it got me to thinking . . .

There really is no way (that I know of) to know that someone didn't swipe a controller or two from a display and wants to dump them here. It kind of makes me rethink the security on my own display . . .

Cray

(Just looking for opinions here.)

Tim Fischer wrote:

I may have to take the short drive north to see it this season. Very cool!

You're welcome any time! Be sure when you come by that you ring the bell and say hello. When you look at my mini trees you'll see the inspiration I found in YOUR display.

Points taken.

Although I forget to mention that the display raised enough money and food for 5,000 meals last year. This year hoping to do 10,000, We have one sponsor so far, (Hungry Howies) and they will be mentioned here and there in the audio between shows, and they will mention the display on every pizza they sell and to bring a canned food donation. All the money collected so far has gone right back into the display.

Then again, one kind of soliciting taken away, would then take all soliciting away. I've also done work for money for people who asked for help... Maybe the board does need a buy/trade/sell section......

The comment I made about "why doesn't everyone give them away" WELL, I didn't know that my programs were going to be so loved and requested, and one should be warned about what happens when you offer something for free....

You'd be surprised how many of the big hitters/veterans on here bought from me this year.

Oh, and a sympathy card to throw in. I've been on disability for 2 and a half months now. Hoping to return to work soon. This is all I'm really able to do to get money for my display, so I can hit my goal for the food bank this year.

Cheers!

I think what everyone is trying to say that we love the free boards here. I look forward to coming here almost everyday. I usually ask for every ones because I get ideas from the sequences and like to look at the many diffeent styles. If a part sticks out like wow to me I use part of it. I even tell who it came from. For example I used part of George Simmons, Holdmans, Brian Mitchell's sequences. At the minimum I get the beat rhythm line from it so then I can create from there. Being my first year I am not that good at sequencing. I'm getting the hang of if and coming up with some nice light effects. I hope going forward next year I can post my sequences for people to use. I just wish I could get a copy of the sequence to the BOND Explosive by Bhays.

I was thinking something like this for the 4th of July with red (left section) white (middle circle) and blue (right section). With fireworks going off behind it for the 4th of July party we have every year.

If it wasn't for the kind people on here I would still be stuck on how to make a mini tree or arch. Tell the truth I wouldn't have gotten into LOR if it wasn't for the family here.

bossgroove wrote:

Although I forget to mention that the display raised enough money and food for 5,000 meals last year. All the money collected so far has gone right back into the display.

Maybe the board does need a buy/trade/sell section......

The comment I made about "why doesn't everyone give them away"

I'm not sure where this all came from, but I don't remember anything about soliciting donations in this thread. Personally, I have no problem with that. We solicited cash donations last year and I lined up a half dozen sponsors who matched contributions from the public. (No food - cash only) We collected a little over $1600 total, ALL of which went to the food shelf. (I think it's tacky to solicit donations for the electric bill - if you can't afford the electric, then don't do the display.) For a first-year effort I was pleased with the results. We're aiming for $2000+ this year, a figure which I hope is way too conservative.

Nor do I have a problem with people charging for services they provide. (If someone offered me money to do some custom sequencing or consulting, I'd definitely take them up on their offer if I had the time.) But even with a buy/trade/sell section I still don't think it's right to advertise things that directly compete with products/services that LOR offers. (That's why I kinda jumped that guy a couple weeks ago who was offering to repair boards and build kits for people.)

Even though I've never used anyone else's sequences, (except maybe for inspiration) I have no problems with people offering theirs for free. It's their intellectual property and they have the right to do with it whatever they wish. Personally, I choose NOT to give away my original work to someone who comes calling with their hand out and a grand total of three posts to their name. Still, there's a whole host of people with whom I HAVE shared sequences. But every one of them was either someone I "knew" or someone who was genuinely working hard to master our craft.

Since this got off topic any.......

To all those who wrote their own sequencing software, build their own controllers from scratch (not from a kit), made all your own extension cords (from bare copper), physically built all your own light strings from, and sequenced your own music that you yourself recorded. I say good job. I am sure the visitors to your display appreciate it.

All the way too....

All those who pay a professional to do your whole display. I say good job. I am sure the visitors to your display appreciate it.

;)

I've lost track of this thread, I think I understand now.
It's OK to post adds for selling sequences, as long as your collecting disability and are using the profit to build your display which eventually will raise money or food for charity?
Nothin wrong with that.
Now, can't we all just get along?