Light-O-Rama Forums

Soliciting Business

iresq

I know this is going to come across as prickish, but should we be using this board to solicit for profit solutions to people's problems? Specifically, trying to sell sequences to whoever asks for sequence help? On most of the boards I belong too, only board sponsors are permitted to advertise and even then they don't go after specific posts.

Gets my vote, too. This should be a place to which users can turn for help, guidance, comments, suggestions, etc., without having to worry that someone wants their $$$.

At the same time, I'm OK with something like "I'll pay someone to write a sequence for XYZ song." As long as the transaction takes place in PM! To me, this would be a valid request, and others could mention people who will sequence for a fee. This seems no different than "Where can I get ABC device?"

Cray

Cray Augsburg wrote:

This seems no different than "Where can I get ABC device?"

Cray

Selling sequences is different in that LOR also sells sequences. This is competing directly with Dan. Doing custom sequences is not but should probably done via PM.

I'm new here BUT, I totally agree, let's help with LOR problems. but not help make money. Just my opinion....

Selling sequences is not what the LOR family & friends is about; that is what makes the LOR forum so great....If someone needs help, we are all here to help for FREE. The person selling sequences should be making them for himself or to help others, not for commercial purposes. I could never ask someone for money for helping or sharing. It's Christmas!!!!
Just my personal opinion.
I now have 368 channels! I will change my signature when I figure out how to do it... how bad is that... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Harold

Funny this came up, I was a bit surprised when I saw a post to buy sequences here other then LOR Inc. Didn't think much about it, but would have to agree, this wouldn't be a place to do so, being only reason it is a place where friends and the LOR Co. hang out to help others with tech problems, and a occasional vent.

I am new here and I learn a lot. I am also inspired by others work. I can not imagine having someone else do my sequences for me. That's part of the fun and satisfaction of building a show!
I agree the adds for selling sequences are like "Junk Mail" in the forum!

Ron

I agree too--especially when the seller posts the "advertisement" in a slew of threads, even if it appears that they are kind of trying to help the original poster. Especially for those of us that sort our threads by "recent" posts, it seemed that there was a day this weekend when half of the "recent posts" I opened were all the same thing--a cut & pasted advertisement by the same individual. Kinda felt like the forums were spammed.

Such solicitations will always have limited success on these boards as long as there continues to be such generous giving members of these forums that so freely offer their talents (sequencing, hardware & electrical support, humor :), etc.) at no cost! Made me kinda chuckle and made me proud to be a member of these forums when immediately after such sequencing advertisement posts came replies of those offering their sequences for free. As more and more people share/post their sequences for free, there won't be much of a market for those selling their sequences.

I understand that there may be a role for somebody offering such services and it may truly help some individuals who desire to pay for such services, especially a newbie or somebody who didn't have time to sequence this year. Maybe there needs to be a Buy/Sell/Trade sub-forum within the Midway zone like there is over at PC, and such ads are limited to that area--so if you want to buy something you know where to go look.

Just my 2 cents... (for free!)

I agree completely. In such a online community where the members are so willing to help I feel that sharing sequences is a way to repay any help that has been offered. Also I know some people can get behind the eightball (I have been there myself in the past) and may be behind in building sequences, well this someone can always come to this community and find any help they need. Besides isn't that one thing the holdays are all about is GIVING!

rstately wrote:

I I can not imagine having someone else do my sequences for me. That's part of the fun and satisfaction of building a show!

It's always baffled me that there are so many people that will pay for sequencing to be done. I suppose with enough money, I could pay someone to come on, hang all the lights, do all my sequencing, build custom displays, etc. But where's the "hobby" in that? I guess different people are doing this for different reasons, but at least for home displays, I thought a large part of the point of doing a 'big' display was because one enjoyed it.

As an aside, I had to go back and see what might have sparked this thread. I think I figured it out. I thought it was interesting that the person, a few months back, was saying he didn't understand why everyone doesn't share their sequences...

The sequencing examples wasn't my style either -- way too blinky-blink for me, but that's just personal taste. I'm sure a lot of folks think my sequencing sucks...

-Tim

iresq wrote:

Selling sequences is different in that LOR also sells sequences. This is competing directly with Dan. Doing custom sequences is not but should probably done via PM.

I agree, Dave. I don't think it is appropriate for someone to post a message offering sequences to sell. BUT, if a user is looking for a specific (=custom) sequence and in their post implies they are willing to pay for it, isn't much different than a user looking for, say an FM transmitter, and offering to pay for it.

Any subsequent transaction between the users should be in PM.

Cray

Cray Augsburg wrote:

I agree, Dave. I don't think it is appropriate for someone to post a message offering sequences to sell. BUT, if a user is looking for a specific (=custom) sequence and in their post implies they are willing to pay for it, isn't much different than a user looking for, say an FM transmitter, and offering to pay for it.

Any subsequent transaction between the users should be in PM.

Cray

Well in that case I guess we will just have to agree to agree.

Tim Fischer wrote:

rstately wrote:
I I can not imagine having someone else do my sequences for me. That's part of the fun and satisfaction of building a show!

It's always baffled me that there are so many people that will pay for sequencing to be done. I suppose with enough money, I could pay someone to come on, hang all the lights, do all my sequencing, build custom displays, etc. But where's the "hobby" in that? I guess different people are doing this for different reasons, but at least for home displays, I thought a large part of the point of doing a 'big' display was because one enjoyed it.

I for one agree. This is a hobby that each and everyone of us have deceided to do with out being forced into something we were not interested in. This is a hobby for each and everyone of us and all have different levels of commitment. Most of us talk, swap ideas, give sugestions,and help each other whenever we can. This is called a HOBBY. I would not even think of paying for or even using a free sequence that someone else has done. This is MY hobby, MY show, MY ideas, MY work,MY satisfaction,MY enjoyment etc. I maynot have the biggest or the best display but I am proud of it and enjoy it and so do a few thousand others each year because its ALL MINE. Paul

"Coolness counts" is what I say. My visitors don't know what parts were done by me and what I bought ready to go. It's still cool and fun.

I have no problem paying for the 1602 already built or paying for music I didn't record! :P Its still my/your show and my/your hobby at whatever level of involvement you choose. I love it and get a lot of personal satisfaction from doing my own sequencing. If someone wants help above the generous free offerings here they are free to use it.

But back to topic. I have been surprised soliciting to allowed but it has not gotten out of hand yet or bothered me at all. Most of the ones I noticed are home businesses which I am inclined to help them and give them slack for going out on a limb for their passion and being entrepreneurs. And earning some money to pay for supplies!

Paul Mesaros wrote:

This is MY hobby, MY show, MY ideas, MY work,MY satisfaction,MY enjoyment etc. I may not have the biggest or the best display but I am proud of it and enjoy it and so do a few thousand others each year because its ALL MINE. Paul

I couldn't agree more. Last year was my first year doing synchronized and I spent most of it learning all the things I thought I already knew along with everything that I had no clue about. It was a lot of work, and I put in at least 40 hours a week for most of the year. But when time came on Thanksgiving and I had thirty songs in the can and my first show went off without a hitch, it was all worth it. I'm far from the biggest or best, but no matter where I rank, I take pride in knowing everything people see is mine and mine alone. Yes, I borrowed quite a few ideas from people, but no one needed to do the sequencing for me. Nor would my pride have allowed it.

Getting back to the original thread, I agree that it is pretty tacky and classless to troll for business on a forum provided for our benefit by LOR. I have nothing against people capitalizing on their sequencing skills, but I agree it should be handled by PM's between the parties. Asking to be paid and accepting a job from someone who offers are two separate things and should remain that way.

And I know I'm asking to be flamed for this, but it drives me crazy to see all the "I need sequences" headlines in the forums. C'mon people - at least show a little, tiny, teenie bit of self reliance. Do a search... scan the forums... If you're not going to spend your time sequencing and learning, at least spend a little time finding all the many, many sources of free sequences out there instead of expecting strangers to hand everything to you on a silver platter. Geez...

George, I've been wanting to say this every time I see one of your posts, but haven't yet...

Your "house face" is one of the absolute coolest things I've ever seen. I may have to take the short drive north to see it this season. Very cool!

-Tim

Jeff Millard wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
...I suppose with enough money, I could pay someone to come on, hang all the lights, do all my sequencing, build custom displays, etc...

Many of the electricians in the Philly area take the holiday season off from the standard business to do the much more lucrative business described above... some are pretty beautiful... but none of them compare to what the folks in this forum do for their visitors and guests...

Jeff

We have that here too, except it's just clear lights on the gutters, and if they're really want to be 'edgy', a clear deer in the rock garden in the front lawn.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:
...I suppose with enough money, I could pay someone to come on, hang all the lights, do all my sequencing, build custom displays, etc...

Many of the electricians in the Philly area take the holiday season off from the standard business to do the much more lucrative business described above... some are pretty beautiful... but none of them compare to what the folks in this forum do for their visitors and guests...

Jeff

Don't forget Landscapers, part of there business :):)