Light-O-Rama Forums

Ramped DMX values

WayneKremer

I see that you can set DMX values (0 to 255) with a specific intensity, but how can I set DMX values with a ramp? If I can't, then how are you supposed to control a moving yoke with DMX values?

Wayne -

I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I use the Tools, Fade Tool Options, and then Tools, Fade Tool Settings to select the high and low values of my fade, and then use the fade tool as usual.

D.T.

D.T., you are doing standard fades which only send intensity values of 0 to 100%. I'm finding that you can't send fades in the DMX range of 0 to 255. You can only set specific DMX intensities...which really stinks. That means that in order to move a moving yoke type light, you must either revert back to using the old intensity table...or do individual DMX intensities to the values you want and set them gradually to the movement you want resulting in very jerky movements.

Additionally, I can't open my dimmer on my moving yoke gradually. Basically, you cannot have any DMX valued smart channels. I'm really surprised that LOR II has left out DMX ramps and was pretty much expecting them to be there when the DMX (0 to 255) sequencing capability was made available. Now I need to break out the old LOR to DMX Intensity chart which doesn't permit precise values to aim your moving yoke where you really want it. Disappointing...

Please tell me I'm wrong....thx!

WayneKremer wrote:

I'm really surprised that LOR II has left out DMX ramps and was pretty much expecting them to be there when the DMX (0 to 255) sequencing capability was made available. Now I need to break out the old LOR to DMX Intensity chart which doesn't permit precise values to aim your moving yoke where you really want it. Disappointing...

Please tell me I'm wrong....thx!

I don't think you are wrong. The iDMX has been out a couple years now and there doesn't seem to have been much progress made since its release. With the new products being released, I think the iDMX has been pretty much relegated to the back burner. It was supposed to have been increased from 256 to 512 channels over a year ago, but have not heard anything more on that either. I was tempted to get the new servo card and the CCR, but after investing in the iDMX and all the DMX equipment which has been sitting in my closet for a year or more, I figured it best to wait until the new stuff has been out a while and see if the promised software capabilities catch up with the hardware. LOR is a great company with support that is next to none; I think it is going through some growing pains right now.

• 2 years later...

I'm bringing this topic back up. Has this been resolved in LOR S3? Is it possible to do ramped fades in DMX (0-255)? Thx!

There's no "DMX Fade" tool, but you do not have to use the DMX Intensity tool with native DMX devices.

For example, if what you really want is a DMX fade from 0 to 255 on your native DMX device, you can accomplish that via the Fade Up tool, 0 to 100.

This is true for any of the DMX devices. Just use the basic LOR sequence tools to create your DMX effects. The software will convert it to the DMX values the devices understand...0 to 255.

Set your starting dmx value for your pan or tilt. Set your ending value in the timeline for your final pan/tilt then use the FILL tool and it will make a very nice dmx ramp. Problem solved.

bob wrote:

There's no "DMX Fade" tool, but you do not have to use the DMX Intensity tool with native DMX devices.

For example, if what you really want is a DMX fade from 0 to 255 on your native DMX device, you can accomplish that via the Fade Up tool, 0 to 100.

Bob, I have been doing that and here is my problem with it:

I have a customer in a mall who has a Q-Spot moving yoke (DMX). They wish to have a Santa Claus and sleigh gobo moving across the soffett between the 1st and 2nd stories. By using the Fade Up tool, the gobo is either shown too high or too low on the soffett because of the loss of granularity (since the LOR intensities skip some DMX values).

I may be in a unique situation than others because of the application in which I'm applying it to, but just trying to explain why there would be a need to such tool. Thx!

Wayne

Ken Benedict wrote:

Set your starting dmx value for your pan or tilt. Set your ending value in the timeline for your final pan/tilt then use the FILL tool and it will make a very nice dmx ramp. Problem solved.

Hmmm...haven't thought of that. The fill tool will fill DMX values from one side to another?

If your Chauvet Q-Spot is a 575w, look at dmx channels 3 and 4; they are the fine pan and fine tilt so that you can get your light EXACTLY where you need it. If your version of the Q-Spot has FINE channels, use them to your advantage.

I use FINE channels in theatre productions where I need an exact placement, just like your needs. Yes, the LOR Sequencer can do it. Bring up the Hardware Utility and tweak the dmx channels to hit your mark, then write the values down on paper. Go into the sequencer and set a specific dmx value in the option box. Mouse over the area you need and click. That will get you where you need to be.

Report back, eh?

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression that the iDMX does convert LOR commands like ramping values and twinkle for up to 128 channels. I have sent fades to my Snowvision Tubes on DMX through the iDMX and they do fade fairly smoothly until I start sending out commands on more than 128 channels. Then it gets jittery and skips data....

Jay Czerwinski wrote:

I was under the impression that the iDMX does convert LOR commands like ramping values and twinkle for up to 128 channels. I have sent fades to my Snowvision Tubes on DMX through the iDMX and they do fade fairly smoothly until I start sending out commands on more than 128 channels. Then it gets jittery and skips data....

Correct on 128 channels.

And correct on converting, as long as you are OK with only being able to access 100 intensity levels out of your 256 levels that DMX can normally address. As pointed out above, it can really impact the ability to aim some fixtures.

The DMX intensity tool allows you to specifically generate any of the 256 native DMX intensities, and have the iDMX, or now the native LOR DMX universe send that information in the specified time slot.

The issue is what if I am starting with a DMX intensity of 112, and want to ramp up to DMX intensity of 220? How do I easily generate that ramp?

On a simpler example, if I am starting at DMX intensity of 25, and ending at 129, I have my blocks of DMX intensity at the end, but the only fade tool is in LOR values, so it would be from 10% to 50%. Can you imagine having to calculate that for every ramp you use?

But, as pointed out above, it does appear that inserting DMX intensities as start and end, then using the fill tool to create the ramp in between does generate a event that the tool tip displays as DMX intensity fade from 25 to 129.

Guys, I'm trying to think of the easiest way to do a DMX fill from 0 to 255 or 255 to 0. A fill requires at least 1 to be on each end.

Only current way I know of doing this is to put a DMX 1 value on the end, doing the fill and then deleting the DMX 1 value.

You know the funny thing? It seems that LOR is already quite ready for DMX ramps as after doing the fill, it says "DMX Intensity up from 0 to 255"...instead of stating individual DMX values. Seems like such an easy add-on...

Hmmm... "to 0" should be fine - just precede the region with DMX 255 and follow the region with Off, then fill.

"From 0" is another matter - the Fill tool takes the effect type of the preceding event, and an "Off" event is considered to be a "normal" effect type, not a DMX effect type.

There is a way, but it's pretty kludgy I think (also, I haven't tested this, but I think it will work):

You can make an RGB channel, select the Color Fade tool, set it to use DMX, and tell it to fade from black to white. Apply that to the RGB channel, then expand the RGB channel. Each of the three constituent channels (i.e. red, green, and blue) should now contain DMX fades from 0 to 255. You could then copy and paste into the real channel.

After doing that, you perhaps might want to save the clipboard that you copied it to, so you'll always have a DMX fade from 0 to 255 available without having to use the RGB channel again.

I hope that helps, even though it's a bit convoluted. In any case, I think people should write in to wishlist@lightorama.com asking for a way to easily do DMX fades instead of these kludgy ways.

Thanks Bob! That is a pretty wild solution....one that I wouldn't have thought of! :P I appreciate your effort and have put it in as a wishlist item.

• The topic was locked