Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Wave LX Help

chadh

I wired one of my Ilumivision Light Wave LXs which is a 36LED RGB wall wash. When I first had it wired All 36 Leds came on but could not be controlled by LOR. They next day I plugged it in and only the Blue LEDs were on and still no control from LOR. However, now when I turn it on all i get is a flash of the blue LEDs and no control of the unit. They are powered by a 300w 24v power supply. What would be causing the lights to not work? We wired the dmx in ourselves, but we did not know if we needed to ground the shield or not. Would this cause it to not work? Below I have a picture of the unit and if you need any more info let me know. Here is the user guide just in case. http://www.illumivision.com/files/user_guides/lx-userguide.pdf

Thanks,
Chad

Attached files 181657=10348-dmx.jpg

Have just printed your manual

Will read and get back to you

my dmx units flash on power up (just blue) chauvet color splash jr.

got very strange light outputs when a 3 foot interconnect cable was wired improperly

to see my dmx layout go to dmxwill this work post

Are you using an idmx?

get back to you latter

Frank a.;)

Wow Frank that is a nice setup. Very Impressive.

I am using and IDMX and have used it for the past two years so I know it works. In the manual is says to ground the shield in the DMX line but I have no idea how to do this. This could be the main problem that I can't figure out how to do it. I also do not know the dmx address of the light fixtures due to them being given to me for free and there was no information with them. However, I have tried every single possible address.

Thanks again Frank!

Chad

Thanks for the compliment

At present, do not be to concerned about the shield

A shield wire is an electrical trap for electrical noise from outside the cable

For testing at this point I do not believe it is an issue

Attached is a three pin male plug and its related configuration for plugging into the idmx

1, 2, and 3 on the attached sheet should hook up to 1, 2, and 3 of the light as shown on page eleven of the light manual

From the initial address of the fixture(whatever that might be) there will be subsequent address used

This addressing is dependant on the fixture design

You may have to contact ILLUMIVISION for a breakdown of there dmx addressing

What channel address are you using for the idmx?

Can you give me an idea on your wiring at present?

Frank a.;)

Attached files 181745=10354-dmx_pinouts.jpg

If you have more than one unit the address might be a part of the serial number or unit id

Just a thought

Frank a.;)

Yeah I was thinking that it might be the serial number because it is 64.65.66. But we wired the dmx wire directly into the unit instead of using an xlr connection. Here is a not so great picture below. All I have is my camera phone since i am in my apartment at school. The white and green wires are connected to the dmx in and the orange and blue are connected to the dmx out.

Attached files 181747=10355-dmx2.jpg

Is the polarity correct

The 3 foot cable I mentioned earlier that was wiring incorrectly,

yours truly wired it and would've bet the kids that it was done properly

My attachment shows the pin layout from the back with the rubber boot off

Any way to borrow a simple fixture from a local dj or dj equipment supplier

Oh, you mentioned school - how about from the media or drama departments

That sure looks like the addressing structure 64.65.66

My chauvet splash jr. is a rgb but uses 5 channels 1 reserved 2 red 3 blue 4 green 5strobe

The reason I mention this is this chauvet product the strobe has to be set to 255 for the red blue green to be controlled but on other chauvet equipment the strobe has to be set to 000.

Do you have your idmx with you?

You only have one unit?

I have a dimmer pack at my house that I could try and see if it works. I have seven more of these units so I might need to try another one and see if I can get it to work. I do have the IDMX with me at school and have been trying for a few days now to get it to work. It seems like the lights is getting power from the power supply okay so it seems like it has to me something to do with the DMX.

Dimmer pack will tell you the dmx is working

http://www.bigclive.com/dmxtest.htm

this link is for building an inexpensive tester

parts at radio shack

dont have any other suggestions

curious about other serial numbers

As far as the sheild goes. I hook it up at both connectors when I make a cable

On industrial equipment I have worked on the sheild is connected to ground at the source end only, I am making an assumption (usually a mistake for me) that this is taken care of in the idmx. I do not connect it anywhere except on the pin in a connector

Contact the manufacturer and explain the problem. They may be able to shed a few rays of light on the subject (pun intentional)

keep me in the loop

Frank a.;)

Thanks for the help Frank! Next time I go home I will try the dimmer packs and possibly try another unit and see if it works for me. I will keep you updated.

Chad

Chad

One more thought

Attached is diagram of how I see the unit wired and connected to a computer running LOR II sequence editor. Version has to be above ~2.1.6 - I am running the latest 2.4.8

as an example: if the idmx address is LOR 10 then the corresponding address will be 13.16LOR 64(light unit) 14.01(LOR) 65 (Light unit) 14.02(LOR) 66 Light unit The three lor channels must be configured in the sequence editor - turn the three channels to 50% on (LOR) or a value of ~127 (DMX) in the sequence editor.

Thats the example, if you can tell me what address your idmx is set at I can figure out what LOR channels you need to turn on.

You probably know all this already, but it is worth talking about

Frank a.;)

Attached files 181807=10358-chadh1.jpg

By the way do not worry about output wires from light unit

Just make sure they are isolated from each other

Frank a.;)

Alright so that last picture confused me. You had orange and blue wires going into the light. In the User guide it says those are the output wires. Since they are output wires would they not being going into the next light instead of coming from the IDMX?

Chad

you do not want to deal with somebody that can not read

your correct should be white and green

obviously you know what to do

addressing is my guess if you have the equipment and wiring correct NOT AS SHOWN

Frank a.;)

This DMX stuff is way to confusing. ;) I think I'm going by my house tomorrow so I will try out the dimmer packs and maybe try a new unit and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for everything!

Chad

UPDATE: I tried a new unit and it is now working!!! Thanks so much for your help Frank! It looks like the first unit was just a bad unit.

Chad

Thats great

these dmx controlled rgb units give you flexibility to nth degree

Just curious. Are you going to dismantle the unit not working?

Frank A.:D

I havent't decided if I want to take the unit apart yet. I probably wont unless I decide I need another. However, since i have 7 more and these lights up a good 30-40ft. They are amazing units.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update this thread and say that I now have all six lights working and they are truly amazing. Thanks Frank for all your help!

-Chad

Attached files 184770=10487-DSC02556.jpg