Light-O-Rama Forums

Waterproofing the LOR PC cases?

stanward

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Were do you get the signs (that saychannels and lights) at the bottom of peoples posts?

Actually, this thread has nothing to do with a member's signature. It is helpful to the other members if a thread remains focused on the original subject, which in this case is waterproofing a LOR PC case.

The fastest way to find out an answer to that question is to search for it. If you are a PlanetChristmas (PC) member, that would be the best place to search. Actually, the answer is staring you in the face when you first go to the PC forums website. If you are not a PC member, but a light enthusiast, it is highly recommended that you become a member on that forum.

If none of that works, send me a PM and I'll tell you the answer.

PaulXmas wrote:

In northern Alberta at Xmas time we get snow not rain so I don't have to worry about rain.

I am sure if there are no holes and the controller is placed upright then there should be no problem.

BTW it snowed yesterday!

Only about 77 days before Xmas!

It has been so HOT lately here in Hawaii. I have to walk around half naked in my house when I get home. I think the temps have been in the high 80s to low 90s. At night, it's been as high as mid 80s.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I have mounted my boxes to mini easles that I made, and used strap and door hinges so that they will fold down when it is time to store them. I also put a cross member below the box to coil up any extra cordage at the controller. Then, I cover the entire setup with a contractor-grade large plastic bag. This covers not only the box, but also the plugs leaving and entering the box. So far, this has worked nicely this season. I chose tha bags as they don't have to last forefer, and they are retractable when necessary.

Best regards,

--Jim--

pictures please?

Jim Miller wrote:

Hello,

I have mounted my boxes to mini easles that I made, and used strap and door hinges so that they will fold down when it is time to store them. I also put a cross member below the box to coil up any extra cordage at the controller. Then, I cover the entire setup with a contractor-grade large plastic bag. This covers not only the box, but also the plugs leaving and entering the box. So far, this has worked nicely this season. I chose tha bags as they don't have to last forefer, and they are retractable when necessary.

Best regards,

--Jim--

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running the stock PC controllers in the plastic cases with no additional
protection for the last 3 years. 9 of them are exposed directly to rain and snow.
They are all mounted vertically with 4 screws through the back of the box. I have never had a single problem with water getting into any of them.

I do Zip tie them through the lock hole to make sure they don't "accidently" come open.

Tim

That's good to know! I had all of my controllers mounted up under the eaves, but it took a lot of SPT wire. For 2010, I will need to have the new controllers moounted near the lights, etc. so I don't need to buy more SPT wire.

The SPT wire prices are supposedly going up this year!

• 7 months later...

-klb- wrote:

I've had 20 of them U bolted to stamped steel fence posts in the lawn, with U bolts through the case and strain relief, through a hole drilled in the post, and around the post. The cases are upright, and fully exposed to the rain, with no protection, and no moisture issues. The only controller that I have had water issues with was one on the side wall of a building where massive quantities of runoff from the roof was falling on it from two floors above. I believe a simple strip of duct tape along the top of the controller would have prevented the issue. It and two others in similar locations will get duct tape this year. The rest of them will continue to get rain on them.

Do you have any pictures of what they look like bolted to the poles? Where on the inside are you running the u-bolts? Anyone with pictures can answer me on this?

PaulXmas wrote:

I was under the impression the boxes are fine outside without any extra protection.

Perhaps someone from LOR can confirm these boxes can be placed outside with out any extra protection.
[snip]

When installed upright, off the ground we have not heard of any issues. The boxes are designed to be out in weather.

I too have mine out in the weather in just their plastic LOR enclosure, which I attach to two U-shaped fence posts (4'). The bolts go through the heatsink, and through the case to attach to the posts. I put the nut on the inside of the case so you have to open the case in order to remove them (theft deterrent), especially since the case is screwed shut, and can put a lock on the case too. I silicone where the bolts go through the case. With this method, the cases are upright and can be 18-24" off the ground. Never any water in them. Once the two fence posts are in the ground, it is nearly impossible to remove them both together (since they will be tied together about 6" apart by the controller). Therefore in order to remove them I have to remove the controller and pull each post out individually. No worries about somebody taking them since it is too difficult.

BTW, the only people I have ever heard of having leaks were those that tried to modify the enclosures with a gasket or foam, or those that didn't mount them vertically. I don't think cable/phone companies would use these on the outside of our houses for their equipment (24/7/365) if they weren't going to protect from the weather.

I use boxes from YourBroadbandStore.com and just lay them in the yard next to the displays. At one point I had 2+ feet of snow on top of them. Not a drop or water on the inside.

However, I will say I removed them before all the snow melted.

I don't think I'm going to push my luck anymore and this year will mount them vertically.

Attached files 208647=11599-LOR box.jpg

Guest wbottomley

Surfing4Dough wrote:

BTW, the only people I have ever heard of having leaks were those that tried to modify the enclosures with a gasket or foam, or those that didn't mount them vertically.    I don't think cable/phone companies would use these on the outside of our houses for their equipment (24/7/365) if they weren't going to protect from the weather.

Well said!