Light-O-Rama Forums

Remote status LED

Kevin N

I know I've seen this listed before...but I can't seem to find it. Where exactly do you connect a remote LED on the header? Also, do I need to place a resistor inline with the LED? Sorry if this question has been answered numerous times, but I'm having no luck.

Thanks in advance for any/all help.

Kevin

there is a post from two years ago, I saved it on an old computer, and now I can't find either. It talked about soldering a resistor up to R5 and connecting a LED to that. Was in a thread about custom boxes

I am not the guy to ask about resistors and types of LED to use here. :(

I asked this question to Dan, and he mentioned that an alternative would be to relocate the existing LED to the enclosure.

He will check on it to see if there is an alternative.

The pics on that one particular thread looks like he is taking the LED signal from the existing one off of the board, tapping off of another component from the board.

My controllers are all up high under the eaves, so no one would see the little red LEDs. My house is so far from the street, no one would be able to see them anyways.

Jeff (and others), thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.

Jeff...I agree with you about the negatives. The reason I'm interested in this is that my boards are located in a big enclosure in my garage. I would like to be able to just glance out the door and verify the status without having to physically open the cabinet. I'd rather keep the cabinet closed/locked to prevent my children from gaining access to the high voltage inside.

Again, I appreciate everyone's assistance.

Kevin

• 3 months later...

I saw in one post (cant remember which thread) that one builder drilled a hole, abt 3/4" or so, in the case directly over the LED, and hot-glued a faucet bezel across the hole. The LED below lit up the bezel so it could be seen from across the room. I liked the idea and did it also (sorry, dont have a pix of it) to my 3 controllers. I didnt have a spare faucet bezel but I cut several 1/2" x 1/4" clear plastic disks off the end of a nut driver handle and hot-glued them in the holes. Works great, I can easily see it blinking even at an angle. One is on my MegaTree controller which is screwed to the base of the MT. The blinking or steady light faces the house so it cant be seen from the street but I can peek out the window and see if it's being addressed or not. Saves actually remoting the LED off the board, or adding a second one..

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did this once and it worked out fine, connected a fiber optic with a homemade adapter over the LED and routed the optic out one of the cable holes and cut the fiber at an angle to make it more visible.