Light-O-Rama Forums

No CFLs with LOR?

coasterbp

So I see by the manual that you can't use regular CFLs with LOR kits. This is true, correct?

I was walking down the aisle of our local electronics store yesterday and noticed that they have dimmable CFLs now. Has anyone tried these with their LOR kits yet?

Just curious....

-=coasterbp

In general CFL's can be turned on and off with LOR, but mysteriously the rest of the channels on that controller loose their ability to dim, and become on/off channels where for any intensity other than zero, the channel goes full on. This has even been seen to happen on other controllers plugged into the same circuit. There have also been cases where it appears the CFL being on relate to communication errors where controllers start responding to commands not sent to them. I don't remember seeing any reports about dimmable ones, but I don't think the odds are very good.

There is a thread here where one particular filter was reported as resolving most of the issues when used between the LOR unit and the CFL, but I never saw any follow up on it, so it might not be 100% effective.

Dimmers switches/Dimming Cfl's do not mix. My Aunt put several in her dimming lamps in her house, she was wondering why the garage wouldn't open sometimes... Cfl's do weird things.

As for us we have CFL's in our dimming lamps, but its a special kind of CFL that cost $11 that can dim. They look nice and save us money, and Dim just like any other bulb. And hey my internet still works when I use them :P

http://www.1000bulbs.com/Decorative-Torpedo-Dimmable/33425/

They are way way too expensive (for light shows), avoid them and use Led's or incandescent s, for light shows.