Light-O-Rama Forums

In Need Of Help with IDMX-1000

stachows

OK.. So I got my IDMX1000 and have started to play.. Unfortunately, I am getting nowhere fast.

I by no means claim to know alot about DMX but have run Stage lighting for Theaters and bands before.

I have three DMX fixtures all different models, One by Chauvet (Colorsplash 196), and two other No-names. They are all set to different Unit UD's (10,20,30) and the DMX ENABLE pin is ON.

I have a Steady Red light on the front of the IDMX1000 signifying a good connection to the LOR Hardware utility.

I go to the CONSOLE and select the IDMX1000, and Virtual Controller.

Yet, no matter what Unit ID I select in the console, when i turn the faders up, I get nothing from my lights.

I know I must be missing something, but don't know what.

Can anyone help? I can provide as much info as possible.

Thansk,
Scott

By default, the first DMX address is LOR controller E0 channel 1. For the DMX address of 10, you would then have E0, channel 10, with any additional DMX channels that follow as 11, 12, 13, etc.. For a DMX address of 20, I believe you will be at controller E1, channel 4. I think the manual has some tables to help with this translation if using the default IDMX addresses. Also verify that the other indicator on the DMX end of the iDMX is flashing occasionally.

Thank you.

Well, I got the Chauvet Light working just fine know, so I know the IDMX1000 is not the problem, and understand the addressing now... (I think)

I still have the two NO NAME lights I cannot get to work. The manuals are useless they were obviously written in Chinese and translated into broken english.

I bought them from cheaplights.com. one was the "Stallion", and one was the "Zebra".

They were not very expensive, but I would still like to use them.

Thanks,
Scott.

On thing to try is to go into the virtual console on the LOR controller ID that contains one of those fixtures, and grab the slider for all channels, and slowly drag it up. There may be a channel that impacts the mode, or is a master dim channel. For example the LED light bars I have use take 5 channels. Red, Green, Blue, Dim, and Strobe. If Dim is set to 0, it does not matter what Red, Green, and Blue are, it puts out zero light.. You may have something similar going on...

Thank you very Much...

I have it fixed. It was a combination of addressing and the two NO-Name lights had a DIMMER channel that needed to be on.

Thanks again.

Scott.

Just for info

I will be utilizing several dmx devices, all chauvet.

The manual that came with the splash jr.'s is not correct.

The web based manual is correct.

The channel breakdown for light control is incorrect.

This totally messed my addressing scheme.:X

The second issue is the strobe control; On the color splash jr.'s

the channel addressed for the strobe is set on 100%LOR 255DMX.

However, on a Derby X the channel for the strobe must be off 0%LOR 000DMX.

If you are still having problems, private email me with the equipment manuals. I will take a look to see if I can be of assistance.

Frank A.:D

Frank,

Thanks for the info.

I have been playing for an hour now, and have already found out that with three different manufacturers of lights, the strobe functions do not all match up so the easiest way is to just turn off the Dimmer channel, or the color channels at the same Timing (.05 or whatever).

That appears to work well and keeps all the lights flashing at the same speed.

Still alot to learn.

Scott

Just remember in order for a DMX device to really be a DMX device, you have to be able to change the address. It is hard to get a handle on, but the DMX address is the most important. It is like putting the ID numbers on your LOR controllers, just harder. Even though you put an ID number on your iDMX, you still need to put an ID number on your DMX lights.

Yup... I printed tags for each of my lights now so I know which Address each one has been assigned without looking at the pins...

Scott,

As an FYI, I have a pretty decent DMX primer on my site if you want to pull down a copy. Unfortunately, I have found with the less well known vendors, thier documentation leaves A LOT to be desired.

Greg mentions the key. You have to fully understand the channel that the fixture has, what they specifically do, and MOST important is to know what the Base ID is. That is what you have to tell your sequences the controller/channel combo is. LOR has some decent docs that I reference in my material.

• The topic was locked