Light-O-Rama Forums

lor 2.3.8 something wrong

gail bell

I never had the problem on my laptop which is running XP; my problem was on the Vista 64 bit machine. It's not normally connected to the internet, so maybe that is why I had the problem the first two times and not the third. Each time I went to register it though, it showed the proper access key without me having to enter it.

My new laptop is also Vista -64. Come to think about it, there was an automatic update the night before I had to re-install. Since this happened concurrently with attempting to use LOR with no internet connection, I attributed requiring to re-register to Gail's problem.
Now I wonder if there could be a problem with Vista 64 updates. I am not a computer guru, so just a thought...

i don't know , just that hope this helps anyone else that may have the same problem , and they can check to see if theres works without being connected to the internet . chewinggum2 wrote:

My new laptop is also Vista -64. Come to think about it, there was an automatic update the night before I had to re-install. Since this happened concurrently with attempting to use LOR with no internet connection, I attributed requiring to re-register to Gail's problem.
Now I wonder if there could be a problem with Vista 64 updates. I am not a computer guru, so just a thought...

ok , don't whats going on , i've had no updates or anything on my computer. and last night i started the lor program and it come up with a page that had my registration name on it and my key all i had to do was click ok , then it said thanks for registering lor . why would this happen.and when i started lor program .in the control panel at top it said register lor . but not there after i clicked ok. any thoughts?anyone else having this problem or is it just me? thanks

Gail,

That is the way mine behaved too. After two or three occasions, it stopped doing it and now opens as it should. I don't know what was/is causing it.

well i hope it stops . kindof nerve racking. thinking you might lose everything or mess up when it's show time in nov. Denny wrote:

Gail,

That is the way mine behaved too. After two or three occasions, it stopped doing it and now opens as it should. I don't know what was/is causing it.

Until I am a little more confident, I have been saving all my work to a thumb drive rather than the hard drive. Takes longer to transfer, but I am more comfortable doing it that way. I haven't had the problem on my XP laptop, just the new Vista 64 bit machine. I am hoping to use the Vista machine to run the show since I put serial ports in it to run multiple networks. I was having some lag problems with the show last year, so built that computer with more memory and a quad core in the hopes it would handle everything better. I hope it wasn't for naught.

Gail wrote:
well i hope it stops . kindof nerve racking. thinking you might lose everything or mess up when it's show time in nov. Denny wrote:

Gail,

I just had it happen to me again. I received an HP Printer software update, and I was prompted to register my LOR software again. The Key was already in the blocks, so I just had to click OK, unload LOR, reload LOR, re-register again, unload LOR, realod LOR, and re-enable my show.

I had the same problem with the two prior sub-versions of this software. With 2.3.4 I had to do a manual registry clean before I could get it to work again; 2.3.6 came out the next day. I was hoping that would have fixed it, but oh well.

It's all a learning process. I'm still learning how to set all this up and learning what my wife wants in it, and LOR is learning how to deal with that license manager. They had to do something; I was seeing all the "I lost my software, can you send me a copy of yours?" emails out there. (piracy issue)

I'm having these same problems, I don't want to keep my show pc on the net for fear of virus's yet if I disconnect, I'm on demo mode til I reconnect, I'm running windows xp.I'm sure I'm probably over my 5 machines as I've reregistered the same pc too many times to count now. My main pc is vista and I have never had it happen, it's getting frustrating but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

looking more like it must be a software issue. tikilights wrote:

I'm having these same problems, I don't want to keep my show pc on the net for fear of virus's yet if I disconnect, I'm on demo mode til I reconnect, I'm running windows xp.I'm sure I'm probably over my 5 machines as I've reregistered the same pc too many times to count now. My main pc is vista and I have never had it happen, it's getting frustrating but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Jack Stevens wrote:

I just had it happen to me again. I received an HP Printer software update, and I was prompted to register my LOR software again.

Just an observation, in my circles HP printer drivers have been rather notorious for causing odd things to happen with pre-existing software.

I can't say for sure the issue still exists, as (for various reasons) I don't use any HP printers on my systems at home anymore, but historically...

Now; having said that, I have not to date seen this particular gremlin arise on my systems. Currently being one 'desk' system with a fairly constant 'net connection, and a laptop that may or may not have 'net depending on where I am at the moment. Both are running under Vista 'Ultimate' 32 bit version. (when I need it, and Linux the rest of the time)

To you that have, anything common elements (other than the internet) among your systems?

FWIW

see i don't have a printer installed on my system,i'm still having it happen. jwilling wrote:

Jack Stevens wrote:
I just had it happen to me again. I received an HP Printer software update, and I was prompted to register my LOR software again.

Just an observation, in my circles HP printer drivers have been rather notorious for causing odd things to happen with pre-existing software.

I can't say for sure the issue still exists, as (for various reasons) I don't use any HP printers on my systems at home anymore, but historically...

Now; having said that, I have not to date seen this particular gremlin arise on my systems. Currently being one 'desk' system with a fairly constant 'net connection, and a laptop that may or may not have 'net depending on where I am at the moment. Both are running under Vista 'Ultimate' 32 bit version. (when I need it, and Linux the rest of the time)

To you that have, anything common elements (other than the internet) among your systems?

FWIW

Well... Murphy is apparently not on vacation, 'course should have expected a visit after weighing in on the thread...

Fired up the laptop this morning to do some sequence tweaking, and was greeted with the (now infamous) "this is the demo edition" screen...

For the record, no HP printer drivers ;), no new software loaded on the machine since the last time I ran the LOR software, though there were a couple of Windows updates done on Friday. This is the first time that I have run the software (on this machine) since the update.

As has been reported by others, selected the 'register now' option and all of the data was already filled in. Hit ok, restart the software just to be safe, and we're off and running again...

Quite odd...

Ok, I should have mentioned that that was the update I received prior to the last time this happened to me. Before that, it seemed to coincide with other application/OS updates. Why it just happened to me today I don't know. As far as I know, no updates of any type.

FWIW, I'm using a Dell Latititude D630, running XP Pro with service pack 3, 3 gigs of ram, dual monitors with the second monitor being run by an Ultra USB to VGA adapter. It's not my show computer, just a sequencing computer I currently have the USB controller interface connected to.

gail bell wrote:

see i don't have a printer installed on my system,i'm still having it happen. jwilling wrote:
Jack Stevens wrote:

FWIW