Light-O-Rama Forums

What's the most unconventional song you're done?

jbc455

Unconventional music? As you may know Tron (the 80’s cult classic movie) is getting a 21 century remake, called Tron Legacy. It’s getting some early hype, even though it’s not going to be released for at least another year. The title song is on the web, here, it sounds interesting. I have not decided if I’m going to sequence it for my 2009 show.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• KarlSmith

• PipefitterDan

• ItsMeBobO

GalenInTn wrote:

:shock: OH MY GOD!! Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff. But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it. LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill. I would love to see what you've done!

Unconventional, yes. Edgy? I dunno. The Trees got a great reception last year.

I've been too lax on videotaping my stuff, but I'll do a better job this year.

LVS should be pretty wild. I'll be playing it on New Year's Eve, which is the only time I get to play the odd stuff for the whole show.

BTW- I have two dachshunds too. Our family has had 10 of them.

• 4 months later...

jbc455 wrote:

GalenInTn wrote:
:shock: OH MY GOD!! Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff. But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it. LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill. I would love to see what you've done!

LVS should be pretty wild. I'll be playing it on New Year's Eve, which is the only time I get to play the odd stuff for the whole show.

I too am a big Rush fan....

I didn't get this done in time for my 2009 show, but I started sequencing YYZ. I cut some parts out to get it down to about 2 mins, and then added my timings. Lots of tempo/time signature changes to deal with, but you wouldn' t expect any different from them! Maybe, I'll get that one ready for a New Year's Eve show next year...

daughjs wrote:

jbc455 wrote:
GalenInTn wrote:
:shock: OH MY GOD!!  Being a Rush fan I've considered doing some of their stuff.  But, I'm told they're stuff is to unconventional, not to mention edgy, so I have stayed away from it.  LVS is one of my favs, one song I was considering is Freewill.  I would love to see what you've done!

LVS should be pretty wild. I'll be playing it on New Year's Eve, which is the only time I get to play the odd stuff for the whole show. 

I too am a big Rush fan....

I didn't get this done in time for my 2009 show, but I started sequencing YYZ. I cut some parts out to get it down to about 2 mins, and then added my timings. Lots of tempo/time signature changes to deal with, but you wouldn' t expect any different from them! Maybe, I'll get that one ready for a New Year's Eve show next year...

RUSH fan here too! How did LVS turn out for New Year's? Would you be willing to share your RUSH sequences? Even if not, RUSH minded people would love to hear how it turned out!

I didnt use them in my show but I wanted to show someone I could do a nice slow fade so I did some enchanted evening by Mantovani orchestra....

then I did a techno mix of a song called "in the dark" - it was one of those that I always heard the song and always saw the lights in motion in my mind to the song... those are so easy to sequence when you already have them completely visualized
-Christopher

Been thinking lately about Mozart's Rondo in D Kv 382 for 2010 about 9 minutes long should be a chore but we'll see what happens. Does anybody do classical music and if so how does it play?

This year I did William Tell Overture (edited for length) and Beethoven's Symphony #6 (also edited for length, but not finished in time for the season). Both play from beginning to end.

classical music works extremely well.. esp composers with a little spunk and closer to the baroque era.. crescendos make neat mega tree spins.. violin solos are awesome for "fans".. piano concerto piano parts are great for roof lights...

one of the things about classical music is its really suited for LOTS of channels.. the music is much easier to Pick apart the various instruments and then assign each instrument to a display element.. this way your display can become the Orchestra that the viewer sees as the listen...

however neat and powerful it may be classical music typically will not fill the street with cars.. for people who understand what you are doing it will practically leave them in tears.. for most people they will not have a clue that you created an orchestra in the yard and will simply drive away..

-Christopher

I added the "Oh, Yeah" song from Ferris Bueller as the last song in my show. You should have seen the looks on the people at the end of the song when Ferris says . . .

Are you still here?

It's over!

Go Home!

GO!

Priceless.

Richard

Anyone ever do Queens, Bohemian Rhapsody? I was thinking of going a few rockier tunes the week between Christmas and New Years for next year, thought that might be a good one. Also, being a Def Leppard fan have to do one of theirs, maybe Pour Some Sugar on Me. Very distinctive drum work by Rick Allen on that one.

Lenny

Our new song for New Years Eve this year was the Cha Cha Slide by Casper C. Filled the street with onlookers and everyone was doing the slide.

I used Lord of the Dance. Starts slow and gets fast at the end.

Not a real Christmas song but we got many positive comments on it.

Tricky to sequence!

Harbs

• 11 months later...

bossgroove wrote:

It's okay everyone. We are all on the same page. How many times do we hear any kind of song, and see our display moving to it? Just remember, it's a Christmas Light show put to music, not a Christmas Music show, put to lights.

25 songs in 12 minutes,......

http://www.facebook.com/v/1128384888688

This was one of the favorites last year. I had people dancing in the fron of my yard, IN THE RAIN to this one.

Great job.
I know this is an old thread but could you tell me the name of the song that starts at 2:15 in your 12 min video.
Thanks

KarlSmith wrote:

bossgroove wrote:
It's okay everyone. We are all on the same page. How many times do we hear any kind of song, and see our display moving to it? Just remember, it's a Christmas Light show put to music, not a Christmas Music show, put to lights.

This was one of the favorites last year. I had people dancing in the fron of my yard, IN THE RAIN to this one.

Great job.
I know this is an old thread but could you tell me the name of the song that starts at 2:15 in your 12 min video.
Thanks

According to "Shazam" (iphone app) it is Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400

Well as long as we are reviving an old thread I will jump in. I sequenced America starting out with Alvin and the Chipmunks singing it, the Elvis fades in and does his talking version. Then I mixed the two songs on Audacity as Alvin comes in spelling America and the group finishes the song together. Actually came out pretty good. I will try to get a video of it soon. Of course I have Penguins doing the back ground singing. All the character are animated.

Guest Don Gillespie

bossgroove wrote:

Are you interested in sharing this with anyone? really well done, obviuosly you are very good with audacity I am learning how to use it now even listening to this with head phones on my feet were moiving with the tunes great job I guess the only thing I tried different was the CSI NY opening themme tune to start show