Light-O-Rama Forums

USB485 Comm Port Error

Scott Tuthill

Just got done putting together 5 new CTB16PC units and wanted to configure their unit ID's and test them out. I had a Win-XP PC with Hardware Utility 2.0.16 loaded but where I had not actually connected to a controller yet. I plugged in the USB485 and XP found and loaded drivers for it. The hardware utility shows it to be Comm3, using FTDI drivers, with everything working ok. When I select Comm3 in the Setup Comm Port area of the hardware utility I get an error:

The serial port (Comm3) assigned to LOR has a problem. You may need to select another port.

Open of serial port 3 had failed

Error: (8002) Invalid Port Number

While: Executing Port Open Property

Trace: PollStation

Is this error because I have not upgraded to the new licensed version? Or do I have some sort of other problem.

Scott

Scott,

As far as this being related to needing the latest version or not. I would say that you are best to upgrade to the latest version. On the software page you will also need to retrieve your license information. You will need the email address that you used when you originally purchased the software. The license is no charge if you have previously owned LOR software.

Have you tried to allow the hardware utility to scan for the comm port. You will get an error in communications if NO controller is connected with the hardware utility open. After all is loaded you need to establish the physical path. computer - USB cable - adapter - cat 5 cable - controller. After you have the physical path connected then launch the hardware utility. Auto configure the comm port. Then do a scan for the controllers. You should see the LED on the controller go from flashing to solid during this process. Once you have the solid light then you can use the panel on the left side of the hardware utility to set the ID.

Chuck