Light-O-Rama Forums

Cut-Cut-A-Roo

Christmas_time_karl_UK

Hi All,

I know cutting voids the warranty but where are these cut kits people have been talking about?

Also if I did cut them in half say....would only 1 half work as theres only 1 interface per a ribbon? If I did cut it in 1/2 how does the sequencing know where to start in the middle of the new 1/2?

If possible? What happens if I attach the output of the main controller onto 2x 8ft ribbon sections ie:

/------> 1x 8ft Section

Controller -

-------> 1x 8ft Section

Many thanks

Karl

Christmas_time_karl_UK wrote:

Also if I did cut them in half say....would only 1 half work as theres only 1 interface per a ribbon? If I did cut it in 1/2 how does the sequencing know where to start in the middle of the new 1/2?

If possible? What happens if I attach the output of the main controller onto 2x 8ft ribbon sections ie:

/------> 1x 8ft Section

Controller -

-------> 1x 8ft Section

The controller does not know what is attached to it. So cutting the ribbon in half and putting the two halves in parallel attached to the controller would cause them both to behave as the first 25 pixels. They would respond to the first 25 RGB channels or if you are using sequential channel numbering, then channels 1-25 (red), 51-75 (green) & 101-125 (blue).

This would mess up some of the macro effects like filling the ribbon from ends to center because the controller thinks the ribbon has 50 pixels. Other macro effects like end to end fill would work, but your fades to accomplish this would not go from 0-99%, but 0-49 or there-abouts.

We are experimenting with the cut kits. It may be easier for some people to just solder a 4 wire flat cable to the cut ribbon. You have to be careful because you can swap lines and fry the electronics of the ribbon. Also, the ICs on the ribbon re-generate the signals so you must be sure to connect the correct end to the controller.

LightORamaJohn wrote:

Christmas_time_karl_UK wrote:

/------> 1x 8ft Section

Controller -

-------> 1x 8ft Section

We are experimenting with the cut kits. It may be easier for some people to just solder a 4 wire flat cable to the cut ribbon. You have to be careful because you can swap lines and fry the electronics of the ribbon. Also, the ICs on the ribbon re-generate the signals so you must be sure to connect the correct end to the controller.

It looks like it is time for a little R&D in Jersey.

Also just because some macros do not work is not a show stopper... You can still program your own effect manualy. It is more work but hey thats how new things are found discovered. The first year I may have to stick with the macros because of time. But I am planning to tinker with what we can do with the CCR...

• The topic was locked