Light-O-Rama Forums

using a active RS 485 Hub

downunder

Fun. The link for info takes you to a different site, and it is not obvious where that card is. Once you get there, the link for the product manual states that you must have a trade login on the site to access the manual. Makes it difficult to evaluate the product.

It looks a single data pair application, which matches LOR, but it brings up a separate issue. RS-485 does not specify how to coordinate bi directional data flow on the shared data buss. So, it may work as long as you don't expect any responses from any of the controllers beyond it, but interactive triggers, and controller status will not work.

I do not know why the link does not work for you however when i click it it works for me, anyway i have added the information and photo.

An "active" RS-485 data bus hub designed for jobs where an M1Gold or M1EZ8 Control is retrofitting an older panel that has multiple homerun 4 conductor keypad/data wires. It splits the main 485 data bus into 4 managed 485 branches. Each branch can have 2 parallel home run cables for a total of 8 home runs. The end of each cable is EOL terminated to insure proper operation and supervision.

Attached files 177392=10133-m1dbhr_thumb.jpg

Your link works, and has the data you posted, but it also contains a link for more information about the product. Once you find the right product on that site, it still won't provide a detailed manual unless you have a login as one of their technicians.

Paul Roberson wrote:

There was a thread on PC about using an isolated hub.

With Animated Lighting brand products, not LOR, though there were LOR users posting in the thread, the primary focus was on AL hardware.

There are things you can do with LOR products to get multiple runs in multiple directions. The first one is to use the USB-485B, in that it has two connectors on it, so that it can be in the middle of the run, effectively allowing you to run cable in two separate directions. You can also use multiple network support to have multiple adapters, each running two cables in different directions. Then there is the LOR network repeater.

http://store.lightorama.com/rsnere.html

It allows for one cable in, and two out, and will be powered by nearby controllers.

-klb- wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

With Animated Lighting brand products, not LOR, though there were LOR users posting in the thread, the primary focus was on AL hardware.

This is true. That does not mean it will not work with LOR.:)

Paul Roberson wrote:

-klb- wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

This is true. That does not mean it will not work with LOR.:)

True, but any talk of success and communication improvements probably don't say much about how it will work here...

-klb- wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
-klb- wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

This is true. That does not mean it will not work with LOR.:D

True, but any talk of success and communication improvements probably don't say much about how it will work here...

You win!:) lol

downunder may benefit from a post in that forum asking CarlD about it. I think he has tested it with a LOR controller. I know he is very knowledgeable about it.

Paul Roberson wrote:

I contacted CarlD. This was his response.......

Hmm.. I registered on the LOR forums, but it won't let me post to that thread. If you'd like to respond for me smile.gif

Both the R.E. Smith hub (rs485.com) and the hub that we're going to be selling (soon, I hope) will work with both AL and LOR. At the California Christmas Lights Expo back in May, Drew Hickman let me put one of my hubs in the display on his vendor table and we had both AL and LOR running through it at the same time (with Drew's magic firmware upgrade).

If anyone wants more information about the hub that we'll be selling, they can either PM me on PC, or send me email at cpdaniel@pacbell.net.

Well i have spoken to the Ness technical support and they advised this hub is a RS485 isolated bi directional high speed hub.

The only thing he said is that if i daisy chain out of each port i need to have each end terminated one is on the hub and with a 120ohm resistor across A/B data.

The question is the LOR does not have a termination at the end of the daisy chain or does it have one built in ?

The LOR transceivers work extremely well without termination. No telling if the hubs transceivers will play well unless you add terminators. They aren't a big deal to make, and can be plugged into the open jack where you don't daisy chain. Do understand that using something like this is most likely walking outside of the realm of technical support.