Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter Echo

mrduncan

I planning on expanding my Christmas display to include a FM transmitter as well as outdoor speaker. I plan on purchasing a EDM FM transmitter (all I've seen is postive reviews on EDM transmitters). My question is: Has anyone experienced delayed sound (echo) between a FM transmitter and a live speaker system?

There's always some delay between speakers and radio waves. The delay has never been that noticeable for me though. I used speakers and Whole House Transmitter last year, but the speakers were on very low for foot traffic and was not intended for the vehicle audience.

The electric signal that is running them both is received at the same time from your sound card/audio out, so the speaker is producing sound while the FM transmitter is just getting the signal to convert to a radio wave and transmit it.

I have never noticed a delay. Rather than hook my speakers up to the computer, I just use an old stereo receiver and tune it to the proper FM frequency. I set the receiver to mono, rather than stereo, and can spread up to four speakers around the display. My experience has been that you don't have good stereo with the speakers spread far apart in the yard anyway.

Thanks. Didn't think about just transmitting audio to another FM receiver. This would definitely eliminate echo if ther was one.