Light-O-Rama Forums

Dead CTB16PC

michael.farney

I made an unfortunate discovery the today. I have a CTB16PC that will not light the LED up. The signal transformer on it gets hot within a few minutes of plugging it in, to the point you can smell it. I'm assuming I have a bad part or short on the board? I got this board assembled at the sale last year, so do I just need to make a warranty claim to LOR?

Thanks,
Michael

I looked up the transaction to double check, and looks like it was last year's secret sale at the end of February. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but I'm guessing this won't fall under their one year warranty.

Definitely give them a try. It probably wouldn't hurt to visually check that the microcontroller (directly under the RJ-45 jacks) has the notch in the end towards the right, and that the RS-485 chip, to the left of the microcontroller, has its notch to the left...

Michael,

LOR is great with warranty and fixing things in a very timely manner. Call them, let them know you need an RMA, they will fix you up!

Michael there is a troubleshooting chart on the Lightorama support page.

Here is the link http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/Kit_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

Since the transformer gets hot very quickly I would look for a short in the area of the 2 voltage regulators. The things that look like triacs but are in the center of the board with smaller heatsinks.

Chuck

I spoke with Dan and it looks like I fried the 8 pin chip to the left of CAT5 connectors. Dan is sending me a new chip.

A++ customer service as always! :);) ;) :) :)