Light-O-Rama Forums

Outdoor Led Wall Washer from Tri North

mcascio

Anyone have experiences with this Led Wall Washer from Tri North?

http://www.trinorthlighting.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=520

The light has a beam angle of 20 degree's which seems pretty narrow. More like a flood light than a wall washer.

They also have a few other outdoor wall washers that look interesting.

This is my first trip down DMX lane so be gentle. :)

I don't have any video of them up yet, but Wiedamark has some sample video.

I used three of them to light up, and do strobe effects in my entry way for Halloween, and we used 15 of them to light up a gable end of a fire house. They are narrow beam angle because they are intended to be mounted at the base or top of the wall to be lit. I believe they are only rated to light up a 15 foot tall section of wall. We covered closer to 20 with them, and the brightness did fall of a bit at the top. We had them mounted about 20inches from the wall, and about 12 inches below the section we were lighting up. It worked pretty well.

They do use what appears to be a proprietary water resistant connector, and the cables are expensive. 15 of them with not much slack in the cables that come on the unit can be spread across about 44 feet. A little higher density might have been nice to minimize some of the lighting gaps at the bottom, but we don't plan to change it this year.

Hey mcascio

I purchased that model last year. At that time the regular price was $349 and I got 10% off that. It appears very weather proof with no external switches and a special outdoor dmx cord. Its extremely bright and casts a 12-15 beam from about 10 feet overhead. But not nearly enough to color the entire yard.

I was not able to use it in a show last year. It requires a remote to set the dmx address which I didnt know and didnt purchase at first and never was able to get. So it is still in demo mode when you power up. My later remote purchase was back ordered and wasn't coming in time for Chrismas, so I canceled the remote order and never used the light in a show. It was mounted outside for the show season unlit. :X

Contact me via PM if you want to buy it and my IDMX and outdoor cords. (no remote)

Oops.. I forgot to look at the link the first time.. This is the one that fits my comments above is:

http://trinorthlighting.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=150

The other comments about the remotes and connectors apply to both units equally..

I forget that they call those rectangular units as wall washers as well.

Last year we installed 32 of the EXFloods on the Cambridge Ohio Court House. You can see the video on the Commercial Videos page on the LOR webpage. (bottom of the page under AVC Communications)

The EXFloods are physically like the Tri-North product but more DMX programming options. The link is HERE. They use/require the same remote.

We also installed four EXBars. HERE is the link. They are a little more expensive than the EXFloods but have even more DMX options. Setup uses the same remote.

These two Elation products came with the weatherproof 5-pin to standard 3-pin DMX adaptors/cables so you can use less expensive cables between units.

They all worked flawlessly all season long. Since they were permanently installed, the Court House can be light up for other holidays (Red, White & Blue for the 4th of July, etc.)

These units do go on sale from time to time for the same price as the Tri-North units.

- Dave

mcascio wrote:

Anyone have experiences with this Led Wall Washer from Tri North?

http://www.trinorthlighting.com/Store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=520

The light has a beam angle of 20 degree's which seems pretty narrow. More like a flood light than a wall washer.

They also have a few other outdoor wall washers that look interesting.

This is my first trip down DMX lane so be gentle. :D

mcascio,

I use that exact fixture every night on the front of my house. I have three of them connected to an iDMX1000, and have it set for a different color every night. I have shows for all the holidays, so right now they are red white and blue, Easter they were teal, magenta and yellow, green for St Patty's day, red for Valentines, etc etc etc. My wife loves them (so do I). I have replaced the proprietary connectors with standard DMX connectors, so I can us a regular XLR cable to connect them up to the controller and to each other. They work great and look awesome.

You DO have to get the remote to set the DMX address, which really burns my butt ($40), but the show must go on. When you take that price along with the price of 3 fixtures, it's only 4% additional. Of course I use them in my Christmas and Halloween displays tool.

Let me know if you have any questions.

D.T.

• The topic was locked