Light-O-Rama Forums

iDMX1000

Denny

This hasn't been brought up in a while and I am sure that getting the final S2 version out had pushed this to the back burner, but is there any estimate when the iDMX 1000 will be upgraded to the 512 channels? It's been out for a couple years now, just curious if the upgrade is coming soon since DMX seems to be catching on now with many hobbyists.

Denny wrote:

This hasn't been brought up in a while and I am sure that getting the final S2 version out had pushed this to the back burner, but is there any estimate when the iDMX 1000 will be upgraded to the 512 channels? It's been out for a couple years now, just curious if the upgrade is coming soon since DMX seems to be catching on now with many hobbyists.

That upgrade will be this year. We are upgrading the Sequence Editor to handle devices with more than 16 channels so in the future the iDMX will optionally appear as a single unit ID with 512 channels.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

Denny wrote:

That upgrade will be this year. We are upgrading the Sequence Editor to handle devices with more than 16 channels so in the future the iDMX will optionally appear as a single unit ID with 512 channels.

Dan

Dan,

That is really great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a question.

As long as my DMX devices are 16 channels or less, is there a way I can assign channels now and begin programming or do I need to tell the sequencer to use the 256 channels across double the amount of iDMX-1000's for programming, then change the channel assignments when the 512 becomes available?

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

As long as my DMX devices are 16 channels or less, is there a way I can assign channels now and begin programming or do I need to tell the sequencer to use the 256 channels across double the amount of iDMX-1000's for programming, then change the channel assignments when the 512 becomes available?

To program 512 channels today, you will need to use 32 unit IDs (16 channels each). You will be able to re-assign the channels later.

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

I am not going to hold my breath. As I recall that was also the plan last year, and it never happened. I ended up having to purchase 2 extra iDMX units and could only use a portion of my devices.

I just want to make sure that people understand that I am not talking about the number of intelligent channels. We are moving the iDMX from supporting 256 channels using 16 Unit IDs to supporting 512 channels using 1 Unit ID.

• 1 month later...

Just checking back in here. Any timeline for the change for 256 to 512? How many ichan's do we have now and will that change?

Charles