Light-O-Rama Forums

Issues with CTB16 pc box

musicman130

My dad and I put together the CTB16pc kit, solder and all, and all the channels, except for chan 2 work fine. When I first plugged it in, chan 2 was always on no matter what. got rid of a little solder and now when you plug in the controller the chan is off. However, as soon as you turn it on, it will not turn off.

Is this still a solder issue or is it something else?

Thanks,

Rob

Do double check the solder, not just on the triac, but also the resistor and the opto isolator. (6 pin dip) It sort of sounds like a solder bridge somewhere along the path. From there, also look at the resistor pack, and the 20 pin DIP on that half of the board.

If I understand your current operation on this board. All channels are off. When you command them on, they turn on. When you command them off, Chan 2 remains on. But if you unplug and replug, then Chan 2 is off.

Is that correct? I would check the large chip back from the optos for solder bridges. As well as the resister network near there.

Chuck

I am having the same problem with two of my boards that I bought assembled. I used spare channels to correct the problem for last years display. I am not sure it is worth sending in two controllers for 2 channels though.

Well, now that this is brought up, I had that problem with a preassembled PC board that I used for the first time last year too. The channel would stay on and not turn off. I changed the circuit to one not being used for the rest of the season. I assumed it was a bad Triac Dan sent me a replacement Triac, but I haven't gotten around to changing it out yet. Figured I would do it when I drag all the controllers out for this season, but now you have my curiosity up and I may have to go dig it out of the shed and see if it really is the Triac.