Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 Licensing Important Information

LightORamaDan

Bob,

Just so I'm clear, I bought the LOR software back in the 1.x days so got a free upgrade to 2.x. Where does the 6 versions of B count start? If I remember right, I upgraded 1.x to 2.1.6, then to either 2.3.4 or .6. Does it start with 2.3.4 since that was the first to have full licensing support?

I work at a small, vertical-market software company. When I heard your licensing policy, it sounded very generous, so I mentioned it to our VP of sales. His only comment: "That's very complicated."

I think your licensing method is great, but then, I'm a geek.

Would you like to hear an unsolicited suggestion? Maybe not, but here it is anyway: Make it simple as follows:

This year, change your version numbers. Release "LOR 2010." Then, in October (or so), release "LOR 2011 Beta."

For the in-between versions, call it "LOR 2010 build 74" (where "74" is an increasing number).

When you sell a license this year, tell the customer it works with LOR 2010 and LOR 2011. If you want to upgrade to LOR 2012, you'll have to buy an upgrade.

Other companies have done this. Think "Office 2007"; "QuickBooks 2009"; "1998 Ford Taurus."

Sorry for the rant. It's just a suggestion from my marketing department. I'll be quiet now.

Steven wrote:

I work at a small, vertical-market software company. When I heard your licensing policy, it sounded very generous, so I mentioned it to our VP of sales. His only comment: "That's very complicated."

I think your licensing method is great, but then, I'm a geek.

Would you like to hear an unsolicited suggestion? Maybe not, but here it is anyway: Make it simple as follows:

This year, change your version numbers. Release "LOR 2010." Then, in October (or so), release "LOR 2011 Beta."

For the in-between versions, call it "LOR 2010 build 74" (where "74" is an increasing number).

When you sell a license this year, tell the customer it works with LOR 2010 and LOR 2011. If you want to upgrade to LOR 2012, you'll have to buy an upgrade.

Other companies have done this. Think "Office 2007"; "QuickBooks 2009"; "1998 Ford Taurus."

Sorry for the rant. It's just a suggestion from my marketing department. I'll be quiet now.

Thanks for the input....

Bob,

Just so I'm clear, I bought the LOR software back in the 1.x days so got a free upgrade to 2.x. Where does the 6 versions of B count start? If I remember right, I upgraded 1.x to 2.1.6, then to either 2.3.4 or .6. Does it start with 2.3.4 since that was the first to have full licensing support?

For the purposes of what we're talking about here, everybody who had purchased LOR 1 is considered to have purchased a license for version 2.3.

So, their licenses are good for all versions at least through 2.9.

Incidentally, if you ever want to know what your license is good for, specifically, you can use our "Retrieve License" page:

http://lightorama.com/licenseRetrieval.html

Enter your email address, and it will look up all licenses associated with that email address, and send information about them to that address. Among that information will be something like:

Max Version: 2.9 (and any future versions released by June 16, 2010)

Oh, and I should also say, you've likely already received such an email (when you originally retrieved your license info), but because of the changes we've made to the licensing terms in the intervening time, that email that you've already received may say a lower "max version" than what you're now really entitled to.

If you retrieve your license again (now), you'll get that email again, but this time it will provide a more up-to-date "max version".