Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming True DMX Values

michael.farney

Hi,

I am trying to program true DMX values in S2. I enabled DMX in the preferences. When I put any DMX value in, LOR just ignores it and doesn't send the command. The same occurs with the hardware utility.

If I take a working DMX sequence programmed in LOR 0-100, it runs fine and controls the DMX fixtures. If I take that same sequence and replace the LOR 0-100 values with the correct DMX 0-255 values, nothing happens. It acts the same as if I was running a blank sequence.

The same behavior occurs in the hardware utility. Using the console and picking iDMX-1000 - LOR %, I can control my DMX units. If I change the selection to iDMX-1000 - DMX, I can not control anything. No DMX fixtures will respond to the hardware utility.

What am I doing incorrectly?

Hi Michael -

Saw your message, and had never tried the DMX values.... So I stopped the current display and started the hardware utility to do some testing. I found that selecting iDMX-1000 - DMX and then using the hardware utility to turn on some of the fixtures resulted in the lights responding in exactly the way that I expected. Lights came on, showing the colors I selected for them in the console.

Not sure what you are doing that is making it not work, but it works as advertised on this end. Sorry (not really) that I couldn't confirm your results :P

D.T.

DownTown wrote:

Hi Michael -

Saw your message, and had never tried the DMX values.... So I stopped the current display and started the hardware utility to do some testing. I found that selecting iDMX-1000 - DMX and then using the hardware utility to turn on some of the fixtures resulted in the lights responding in exactly the way that I expected. Lights came on, showing the colors I selected for them in the console.

Not sure what you are doing that is making it not work, but it works as advertised on this end. Sorry (not really) that I couldn't confirm your results :P

D.T.

Good to know. That means I have a setup issue somewhere. Perhaps Dan and friends will have an idea.

Because of your response, I did a sanity check -- same results. Using the same dmx addresses, I can get a hardware utility response on LOR % but not DMX.

Check your firmware release on the iDMX. I believe there was a firmware release for the iDMX at the same time that the DMX values became available, but I don't know if it added anything beyond the new fading shimmer/twinkle. It would not surprise me if there were some changes for DMX intensity as well.

G'day Michael,

I had the same problem earlier this year, until I upgraded the firmware in the iDMX to V1.03. As soon as I did upgraded the firmware the problem went away.

I hope this helps...

Regards,

davidt, Australia

-klb- wrote:

Check your firmware release on the iDMX. I believe there was a firmware release for the iDMX at the same time that the DMX values became available, but I don't know if it added anything beyond the new fading shimmer/twinkle. It would not surprise me if there were some changes for DMX intensity as well.

Davidt wrote:
G'day Michael,

I had the same problem earlier this year, until I upgraded the firmware in the iDMX to V1.03. As soon as I did upgraded the firmware the problem went away.

I hope this helps...

Regards,

davidt, Australia

Bingo. Thanks for the help. I knew it had to be something simple.

For those who will be upgrading the firmware on their iDMX, don't forget this process will reset your unit id to E0. I spent 15 minutes troubleshooting cables. lol.gif

• The topic was locked