Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB-16D and it's negatives

Ponddude

I am working on a project that uses 2 DC controllers to control different strips of Piranha LEDs. My question is, does the DC board use the positive or negative side of the channel to control the lights? My reasoning for asking this is because I would like tie all the negatives together to simplify the wiring. Basically on an 8 channel side, there would be 9 wires in my plan...1 for each positive channel (8 total) and 1 tied to every negative post. Can I do that?

Any help would be appreciated.

Greg,

the DC controllers negative side of the channel to control the lights
with that all the positive are tied together.

I have a five wire set-up using LEDs RGBY and wire #five is the positive feed.

Ponddude wrote:

I am working on a project that uses 2 DC controllers to control different strips of Piranha LEDs. My question is, does the DC board use the positive or negative side of the channel to control the lights? My reasoning for asking this is because I would like tie all the negatives together to simplify the wiring. Basically on an 8 channel side, there would be 9 wires in my plan...1 for each positive channel (8 total) and 1 tied to every negative post. Can I do that?

Any help would be appreciated.

In Australia, the majority of LED strings are low voltage fed from a step down transformer (typically 24V). They then use a multifunction controller to both full wave rectify the AC voltage and control the lights to chase, flash etc.

To use these strings with LOR, the controller needs to be disabled or removed. Disabling the controller allows the string to be powered from the standard AC supply and controlled with a PC or 16D board as a 'static' string. However, by cutting out the controllers and using a DC board, LOR can then be used to individually control each circuit in the string. eg for a 4 channel 4 colour chasing string, LOR can then control each colour individually.

The Australian strings and controllers are all wired with a +ve common and -ve supply to each of the circuits. To convert these for use with a LOR DC board, it is just a matter of identifing the common wire and each of the other wires. Because the +ve connections on the LOR DC board are all connected together on the board, it is only necessary to connect the single common wire to any channel +ve and then each of the -ves to the apporpriate channel -ve s. I find this works a treat.

The only additional consideration is getting the right supply voltage which is often greater than might be expected from a 24V transformer. The required voltage depends on whether there are current limit resistors in the string, the colour of the LEDs and the number in each circuit.

Hope this helps -Geoff