Light-O-Rama Forums

computer to computer live talk

Mike Cole

I just got my first laptop and I'm beginning to think of all kinds of neat things I might be able to do with it. I'm not a "geek" by any means, in fact I'm very unsavy with the computer. But one thing I will do is "remote" tweaking of the light show from the front yard. I always thought I would just use a long cat5 cord from the laptop to the LOR usb adaptor in the house. But now I'm thinking there must be a way to operate the LOR computer wirelessly , and in real time, from the laptop. Anyone have help on this?..........thanks much, Mike

I do this by using my laptop to control the dedicated desktop that runs LOR. I use the wireless connection on the laptop to connect to the desktop through my home network. I then use Windows' Remote Desktop to remote control the LOR desktop PC.

The wireless linker should work as well.

That's funny, I used the same handheld Dell Axim as well as my laptop.

I use a great free program called "LogMeIn" . . Some of my boxes don't seem to work very well with Remote Desktop.

Either will get the job done.

Well after much playing around, Iwent with the "logmein" program. It works great! The 'Remote desktop" program from Windows will not work with Vista to Vista computers. Thanks for the help, Mike

Mike Cole wrote:

The 'Remote desktop' program from Windows will not work with Vista to Vista computers.

The 'Remote Desktop' (RDP) will not work to Vista Home. It's only available if your show computer is running Vista Business, Vista Enterprise, Vista Ultimate, (or XP Pro). However, you can connect from any version of Windows.

There is a hack that makes it work on Vista Home, but I haven't tried it.

I never knew that the Dell Axim could do remote desktop. I just tried it and it works great!

I have never played with the Axim very much other than while flying. I bought it as part of a package that included a GPS receiver and XM satellite weather receiver to get aviation weather products in the cockpit.

Too bad Dell discontinued it, it is a nice little unit.

Howard