Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't get my USB to RS232 adapter to work

jbc455

My new computer doesn't have a COM port so I bought a USB to RS232 adapter from Light O Rama with my new 1602W controllers. I installed the driver, plugged in the converter and checked Device Manager. The converter is listed as "Prolific USB-to-Serial COMM Port (COM3)" and says it's working properly. Rebooted the computer.

I can't get the Hardware wizard to find the controller.

I have one controller (Unit 01) connected to the converter. The controller LED flashes until I launch the Hardware utility, then it's solid. Looks like the controller knows it's connected.

Since COM1 is in use I changed the Manual Select box to COM3, since that's the port that the computer installed the converter on. Had to go turn X10 first off since it was on COM3.

When I click Refresh to go find the unit, none is found.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Make sure the adapter is plugged into the computer. The open the HU and click "Auto Configuration" in the left hand corner. It will find the port that it is on and you will be set.

That didn't work. The error box says "Unable to locate the Light O Rama Port. Check that the controller is connected and that it is powered on."

I know the controller knows it's connected so I'm not sure why it's not found.

Also, what do you mean by...

"My new computer doesn't have a COM port"

...if you have a usb port, you have a COM port. Do you not have a serial port...is that what you mean?

Ponddude wrote:

Also, what do you mean by...

"My new computer doesn't have a COM port"

...if you have a usb port, you have a COM port. Do you not have a serial port...is that what you mean?

Oops, I meant Serial Port.

I went through everything on that document that pertains to XP and still get the same behavior.

I've never had luck getting these converters to work properly.

Thanks for your help.

Just figured out that the controller controls lights when Network Preferences are set to COM3 in the Sequence Editor.

While l still need the Hardware Utility to work, at least I don't need another computer to run the show.

Wait...that doesn't make any sense.

When you are in the HU, does the LED on the controller go solid or does it keep blinking? When the SE is open, does that get a solid LED? Do you have both the HU and SE open at the same time?

What happens when you set the COM port to 3 in the HU and then tell it the controller #? I don't mean search to find the controller, just actually put the number in the field.

If it works in one, it will definitely work in the other.

Ponddude wrote:

Wait...that doesn't make any sense.

When you are in the HU, does the LED on the controller go solid or does it keep blinking? When the SE is open, does that get a solid LED? Do you have both the HU and SE open at the same time?

What happens when you set the COM port to 3 in the HU and then tell it the controller #? I don't mean search to find the controller, just actually put the number in the field.

If it works in one, it will definitely work in the other.

No, it does not make sense. I am not running HU and SE at the same time as I know the port can only be used by one program at a time.

As soon as I launch HU, the controller LED goes solid. Auto Configure doesn't find anything, and when manually set to COM3, no controllers are found when I click Refresh. I've tried every combination and clicked every button I see in HU and no controller ever shows up in "Select controller to configure..."

After launching SE the LED turns solid even before I open an existing sequence.

I'm not sure where you're asking about "putting the number in the field". It doesn't make a difference if I put "01" in HU, the 1602W has the switches set to 0 and 1.

It sure sounds like your ID number on your controller is not set. The solid light means it is hearing the communication packets on the buss, but if the ID is not in the search range in the HU it does not find it. I've had this happen a couple times in the past (loses ID number). Just go in the HU, set "any unit" in change existing ID then set the new unit ID to the number you want on your controller. Hope that is all it is.

radioguy1007 wrote:

It sure sounds like your ID number on your controller is not set. The solid light means it is hearing the communication packets on the buss, but if the ID is not in the search range in the HU it does not find it.  I've had this happen a couple times in the past (loses ID number).  Just go in the HU, set "any unit" in change existing ID then set the new unit ID to the number you want on your controller.  Hope that is all it is.

In some cases that is true, but correct me if I am wrong, the HU has nothing to do with programming the ID on the 1602W. That is what the ID rotary dials are for. (I don't know as I only use the PC boards)

jbc...in the HU, there is a blank box, a refresh button, then a drop down menu. In that drop down menu, put in whatever number your controller is. See if the effects work then. If the light goes solid, then the HU is communicating with the unit.

Also, there is a way to reset the controllers. I am not sure how that is with your controller, but it will be in the manual that came with it. If what I said above doesn't work, reset the controller and go from there.

Also, LOR support is AMAZING (to say the least). Drop them a line at support@lightorama.com. They answer immediately and will be able to help you out.

...in the HU, there is a blank box, a refresh button, then a drop down menu. In that drop down menu, put in whatever number your controller is. See if the effects work then. If the light goes solid, then the HU is communicating with the unit...

I did not know I could manually put a controller number in the drop down box, although I see you were telling me to use that box yesterday.

Well guess what, entering "01" in that box lets me test the controller functions. Looks like it's good to go.

Thanks for your help,

John