Light-O-Rama Forums

Data to a Beta-brite-style LED sign using a USB Over Cat5e Extender

J_Plak

Yes...
I use them at work to extend the USB Keyboard and Mouse for a remote computer. I run them on approximately 50 to 75 feet of CAT-6 cable. They work well for that purpose.
The USB speed specification is the slower version USB 1.1 and NOT the USB 2.0 speed specification. Despite the box saying "it works with USB 2.0 devices" it will work only at the USB 1.1 speed specification. Have to read the fine print on this one. I have not found a USB Extender that features the USB 2.0 speed specification as of today.
Good Luck!
Hope this helps...

We as well use them at work. I am sending a Davis weather station data link well over 200 feet.

I use cat5 extenders for USB and VGA at work. They work well everyone borrows mine.

I use the cat5 VGA extender for the video on my display (show computer to projector). I like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got my High-Speed USB OVER CAT5e/CAT5 EXTENDER Repeater Cables from ebay did some testing lastnight it and it work Great, I was using Ktchi app. getting some rss feed to the Beta-brite- LED sign :cool::cool::cool:
I was using 50+ feet of cat5 cable.
now to do some testing with lorII

J_Plak wrote:

now to do some testing with lorII
I probably missed this somewhere as another use for LOR2... but you're trying to use LOR2 to output data to your Beta-Brite via USB? Can you elaborate?

I'll start poking around for a previous discussion, in case there was one.

Found a post about Windows Shell Commands being associated with a sequence here. So is this how you're planning on communicating with your Beta-Brite?

Edit: Another thread here. Looks like I need to work on writing some code for my ancient Pro-Lite sign. :shock: