Light-O-Rama Forums

Right Port Unit

Roger Leon Forbes

Just a note to the newbies, LIKE ME, make sure you use a good and RIGHT kind of USB or PORT unit when connecting up your boards. I was useing a bad port unit and it was giveing me all kinds of crazy things and would not allow hardware test to find units. IT WILL CAUSE YOU ALL KINDS OF PROBLEMS.

Roger,

Your post is a little bit confussing. Could you please clairify a few items.
Was your problem with the USB port on the computer? Or was there a problem with the USB to RS485 converter device.

And what was the fix for the problem?

Thanks

Max

I am a newbie too to some degree. Work with RS485 devices at work that gather process data. But working with the LOR stuff will be new to me.

Sorry Max, I had gotten a port unit from someone with two 16D boards, it was bad. It caused my boards not to be found with the hardware test and also some lights not to work. After I got a new USB unit from Dan at LOR and installed it, the problems with the boards was fixed. Some of the 9 pin to cat5 converters will also cause you trouble. USE THE LOR UNITS IS ALL I REALLY AM TRYING TO SAY. DON'T SECOUND GUESS.

sounds like you were trying to use a non-lor rs232 to rs485 converter.

From my understanding - the lor units are proprietary and the gerneral units will not work correctly

May have been, I bought the units from someone who had never used them and this this is my first year useing LOR. I have been a long time looker but this year I have jumped in both feet. Over 250,000 lights on nice big reels, Red, Green, Blue, White all laced togeather for 14 ft 65 channel MegaTree, same for house, over 600 feet of 4 color rope light, 23 mini trees, 8 6ft (Holdman type trees), one 16 ft long "HAPPY HOLIDAYS sign, and the wife is finding more things she wants to do. So I guess I am in for the long run. LOL.. Its a learning carve and Iam just starting LOL.

OH MY GOSH :shock:

All that to start with! I hope you have a head start on sequencing and about 20K' of SPT wire.

As far as the port, did you just change from one USB port to another on your computer?

I was at my local hobby store, and saw a huge box of what looked like the lor usb adapters, but then i though, hehe the lor adapter is probably "special." The lor units are only $30 or less so Im not complaning.

My problems cleared and now working great after replaceing bad port unit. Change to the USB unit and all is good.