Light-O-Rama Forums

Rope Light Help

Roger Leon Forbes

I have been given over 1000 feet of 4 color rope light, 120 volt, with a small controler and it works fine with it. I would like to know if it can be used with LOR and how to get the different colors

Rope light works fine with LOR. You indicate it is four color but did not say if each color was on a separate circuit, if so you will need to build special connectors to adapt the rope light to fit your LOR controller. 5 wire rope has the center wire as neutral and the two on each side for each color. The safe limit for rope light is about 175' per channel (8 amps) of 2 wire so yours theoretically could go 700 feet since only 1/4 of the bulbs are on a channel. But the max per 20 amp controller would be 435 feet. Other questions about using rope light can be found on Planet Christmas in the How We Do It section.

Thanks Bill, Some of it does have 5 wires, about 300 feet has only 3 wires. I am going to do some checking tonight and see whats what, but could not turn it down, real good price. Free. Thanks Roger

For LOR, you won't want to use that controller. Figure out which of the 5 wires is the common, and wire that back to neutral on a controller. Then wire the other four lines to channels on the same side of the same LOR controller.. Then those 4 channels will be those 4 colors.

Thanks eveyone, I have found that there are three wires, center is common, there are 4 colors, red, yellow, blue, green. The Red and yellow are one one side and the blue and green are on the other. From what I can see there is now way to just get one color at a time. So I guess its two at a time. That is not really that bad, can's grip to much they where free, 1000 foot is ok with me. If anyone knows how I can spit and get one color at a time would be great, but I think I am fixed with two at a time. Thanks Roger

NO, Thats what how found out. I hooked up the unit took the top off. When it turned on channel one it brought on the blue and green on one side and red and yellow on the other.