Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR DMX plug-in

tpctech

Idea #1:

Being most LOR boards now can reconize DMX what about a "plug-in" to make LOR output DMX instead of LOR protocol? For the group that wants to switch to DMX we just run LOR in "DMX mode" and not require the iDMX. We then can run the LOR boards, wash fixtures and moving lights on the same network.

I agree with others that the cost of the iDMX is making adding new DMX devices a challenge. I really don't want to change to new DMX friendly software with all of the sequences I have written.

Idea #2:

Add software to LOR to support a "standard" USB to DMX adpater. This would be kind of like the setup for X10 , ect.

I would guess a software application would simpler then a hardware rework.

Just by 2 cents!

Thanks

KEN

You do realize that when the LOR boards run in dmx mode they are strictly dimmer boxes, no special features such as shimmer, twinkle, etc.

Plus, you will still have to have some sort of USB dmx converter for the PC..

Yes,

Basically the magic of the iDMX box would be a software solution instead of hardware. This box does provide shimmer and twinkle on part of it's channels. A USB to DMX on option which is fairly inexpensive or the RS-232 to RS-485 (LOR adapter) is the same electrical specs as DMX. So maybe the LOR adapter could be used for DMX. On a mixed network (LOR and DMX) two adapters could be used on seperate serial ports.

Now ask yourself - Would that be a good business decission? now an iDMX lite would be smarter

As for the them being electrically the same - yes they both use RS485 - but that is where the similarities end. They are not in the same language.

Maybe I was misunderstood.....

My sugestion was basically to add a output option like x10 and use the same RS-232 to RS-485 convertor or a "standard" USB to DMX adapter. Basially you could have multiple "universes" 1 native LOR on com1, DMX on com2 , X-10 on com 3 ect.

I would guess a "software driver" would be quicker and less expensive product to get out the door then a new widget. But who are we to know!

In reference to the other post about the LOR adapter. You are 100% correct the data that comes out for native LOR is different then DMX. That is the whole thought about a software plug-in. The plug-in and a adapter either USB or RS-232 to RS-485 would convert the interworkings of native LOR to DMX without a box.

It would be easy to "justifiy" lets say $100 for a DMX sofware plug-in and $25 for a RS-232 to RS-485 convertor instead of $250 of the iDMX.

KEN

tpctech wrote:

Maybe I was misunderstood.....

My sugestion was basically to add a output option like x10 and use the same RS-232 to RS-485 convertor or a "standard" USB to DMX adapter. Basially you could have multiple "universes" 1 native LOR on com1, DMX on com2 , X-10 on com 3 ect.

I would guess a "software driver" would be quicker and less expensive product to get out the door then a new widget. But who are we to know!

In reference to the other post about the LOR adapter. You are 100% correct the data that comes out for native LOR is different then DMX. That is the whole thought about a software plug-in. The plug-in and a adapter either USB or RS-232 to RS-485 would convert the interworkings of native LOR to DMX without a box.

It would be easy to "justifiy" lets say $100 for a DMX sofware plug-in and $25 for a RS-232 to RS-485 convertor instead of $250 of the iDMX.

KEN

How many universes of DMX are you going to run?

There has been some discussion of an iDMX lite - which hopefully would fit in your price range.

Also - software is not secure - see microsoft about the windows platform

In the DMX world (with the exception of a few DIY/open source options) computer based DMX control is very expensive.

A few examples that are used in the DJ/entertainment industry:

Axis - $499
Martin's Light Jockey (an industry standard) - $1,300
Elation's Compupro - $1,049

There are many others but none will integrate with LOR. Pricing given just for comparison purposes.

bhays wrote:

Yes. As much as we in the hobby might not like it, the LOR dmx adapter is a bargain.

I would have to agree with this. I was with another lighting company before LOR and their version of LOR's iDMX cost $499.95.:shock: It comes in a weather proof enclosure though.:D

btw. I put my iDMX in a "weather proof enclosure" that cost $2.89:D

iresq wrote:

In the DMX world (with the exception of a few DIY/open source options) computer based DMX control is very expensive.

A few examples that are used in the DJ/entertainment industry:

Axis - $499
Martin's Light Jockey (an industry standard) - $1,300
Elation's Compupro - $1,049

There are many others but none will integrate with LOR. Pricing given just for comparison purposes.

I would differ on the industry standard - Hog III PC - DMX Widget $1900

There are several usb- DMX adapters on the market, though none allow you to run a "show" and only a few actually can control more than 16 channels at one time.

• 2 months later...

Currently, I am working on a system whereby I can control DMX with my cell phone browser. It will be stand alone and apart from the LOR software/hardware, but fun neverthless.

I will probably have a moving light programmed to a mark on the sidewalk across the street. I can stroll up to someone with a wireless mic, ask them to comment on the show, ask them if they mind being in the spotlight, then dial up the software on my cell phone and turn on the light...

or something equally fun.

Charles

• The topic was locked