Light-O-Rama Forums

How many 100-led icicle lights could be used in 1 channel

oohyahla

Simple answer would be...More than you will probably have/fit.

With LED lights the current does vary some depending on color. Based on my 50 ct blue that draw .02amps. So making the assumption that the current would simply double to double the lights that would be .04 per 100. With 25 strings times .04 would be 1 amp. So on a very rough guess with out having particulars for your lights you could possibly put 200 strings to max one channel out at 8 amps. Provided the controller has the high power heat sinks.

Remember this is ONLY a guess with out more detail information from you.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck for the detailed answer. I'm using a soft white 100-count icicle light - the specifics of which I don't know. I have a 2-storey house and in my estimate, would be using 10 strings up and 8 down. I am planning to connect both to one channel. In your estimate, based on the above, do I have a lot of leeway to work on? I mean, if I could use like 30 100-count LED icicles in 1 channel, then I need not worry about blowing the fuse.

Second, I would like to know please, what kind of lights to use for my 'cones'(I have 10 of them). What about the 10' Mega Tree? And the Leaping Arches, 96"x44"(8 channels each sold at www.wowlights.com - plan to make 4 of them myself)? I'd like to know what kind of lights should I use, and how many.

Lastly, I'd like to know if it's a good idea to purchase all my lights at www.ledholidaylighting.com. I'm planning to pre-order all my lights there. Ladies and gentlemen, I really need some help - any tips, advice or recommendations you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help and patience.

cmoore60 wrote:

With LED lights the current does vary some depending on color. Based on my 50 ct blue that draw .02amps. So making the assumption that the current would simply double to double the lights that would be .04 per 100. With 25 strings times .04 would be 1 amp. So on a very rough guess with out having particulars for your lights you could possibly put 200 strings to max one channel out at 8 amps. Provided the controller has the high power heat sinks.

Also, don't forget you are limited by the total current draw on each bank of eight channels, plus the overall capacity of the controller. If you pull the full 8 amps through one channel, that only leaves you a few amps left for the other 15 channels

oohyahla wrote:

Lastly, I'd like to know if it's a good idea to purchase all my lights at http://www.ledholidaylighting.com. I'm planning to pre-order all my lights there. Ladies and gentlemen, I really need some help - any tips, advice or recommendations you could give me will be greatly appreciated.

I ordered from them last year and was pleased with their price, products, and service. I will also be ordering from them this year.

This doesn't mean they are necessarily "the best". There are several reputable on-line companies you can order from. Some things I order from other companies because they offer better prices.

• 4 weeks later...

Cajun Cheesehead wrote:

cmoore60 wrote:

Also, don't forget you are limited by the total current draw on each bank of eight channels, plus the overall capacity of the controller. If you pull the full 8 amps through one channel, that only leaves you a few amps left for the other 15 channels

This is assuming of course that channel is still on.

oohyahla,

!) read and read some more at both this site and go over to Planet Christmas. And read all of the topics. Go back some and read all of the good info there and here.

2) Go to the different vendor sites and read some more about what you are interested in. Some of these strings that you can plug into the previous strings will tell you how many you can run in series. This is because of the light gauge wire only so much current can be carried by the first string in the circuit. I think I remember reading that one such string could have about 25 or so in series. But please do not quote me, go read and learn for yourself.

As you can see, we are a helpful group, but you need to research some for yourself also. BTW, there are good Threads about arches on Planet Christmas and I think there are some tutorals that you will find for both the arches and the mega trees.

Happy hunting.

Max