Light-O-Rama Forums

long distance controllers

cattlefarmboy

i couldn't find a topic about this, one of my computer buddy and i got talking tonight about my light show, would it be possible to send the command signal from my computer to his house like 2 miles or less, like if you would stream radio on computers. i know you can do it with ELLs, but you have to have one every 1000 feet or so. just wondering

cattlefarmboy wrote:

i couldn't find a topic about this, one of my computer buddy and i got talking tonight about my light show, would it be possible to send the command signal from my computer to his house like 2 miles or less, like if you would stream radio on computers. i know you can do it with ELLs, but you have to have one every 1000 feet or so. just wondering

I have tried using TCP/IP.
EDIT
Bottom line - it was jerky
/EDIT

MS_Mike wrote:

I believe that you can use a RS485 repeater (or maybe a couple of them). Have never done it, but did see somewhere that Dan is coming out with one soon.

Mike

This is the repeater that LOR offers, but don't think it would work for this.

http://store.lightorama.com/rsnere.html

pixeldigger wrote:

cattlefarmboy wrote:

I have tried using TCP/IP.
EDIT
Bottom line - it was jerky
/EDIT

how would you use tcp/ip with it

Strange that TCP/IP would be jerky. I believe that the data rate for the RS-485 is less than or equal to 115Kbs. Were at its slowest ethernet is 10Mbs.

I am just wondering. If the two houses are about 2 miles apart and not many trees or hills or other houses. What is the possibility of using a wireless connection. And a pair of high gain directional antennas. I am a long range shooter and I use a web TPZ camera and an ethernet to wireless converter at the far end and an Access point and a laptop at the bench. The far radio has the little 6" dipole antenna and at the Access point I use a yagi high gain antenna. At 3000' I have about 8% signal strength. With two yagi antennas with a clear line of sight, I would think 1.5 miles is doable.

But again this would be working on public frequency and if there are more than a few people running a wireless intranet in their homes. There might be interference. Oh, and some cordless phones operate on the 2.4GHz band also.

Just a thought. And you would need at least one ethernet to RS-485 converter. Check out B & B electronics, they might have something for this type of project.

Max

The problem with putting RS485 over Ethernet is not the speed of the link. The RS485 data is divided into "packets" of information for transmission. The problem is due to the transmission delay across the Ethernet network not being constant or predictable. It is also possible to receive the "packets" of RS485 information in the wrong order at the far end, as they could all have taken different routes to reach their destination. This adds further delays until missing packets arrive.

Regards,

Alan.

Alan C wrote:

The problem with putting RS485 over Ethernet is not the speed of the link. The RS485 data is divided into "packets" of information for transmission. The problem is due to the transmission delay across the Ethernet network not being constant or predictable. It is also possible to receive the "packets" of RS485 information in the wrong order at the far end, as they could all have taken different routes to reach their destination. This adds further delays until missing packets arrive.

Regards,

Alan.

That explaination was what I edited out.:P
I was getting very slight pauseson one channel, and then regular speed on another.
Packet timings was my only explaination.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it is possible. Expensive yes.

Check out this link for more info. http://www.microwavedata.com/Products/FullProductList/MDSmercurySeries.html

These radios can transmit and recieve up to 9mps. Pick your antennas and line of sight and you are good to go. Distance is not an issue as long as you have line of sight. I have used these radios as far apart as 30 miles with a 1 watt transmitter.