Light-O-Rama Forums

HELPPPPP

Ponddude

When the light runs through its sequences by itself, it is fine. When it is on the DMX network is when there are issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would update everyone on what actually happened with my light just in case somebody else is having the same issues.

My first problem was the fact that my iDMX was broken. As per usual, LOR Support was amazing and I had a new one in my hands within one day. You can't ask for anything better then that!

Once that was working I was still having problems with my light. I ended up contacting Chauvet and they had me do a few things to the light, powering off and on cycles, which eventually didn't do anything. Their support was surprisingly helpful as well. Once they figured out that something clearly was not working, they had me send the light back. Today I got the light back and the fixture itself had a bad DMX input. They replaced that and sent it back to me. Now the light is working perfectly and has been running all day long with no issues what so ever.

One thing I learned from this is please remember that a terminator is a must. Chauvet had me use it and when I did use it things worked better, but not great. That is when they figured out something was wrong with the input. One thing that I find, especially with the MiN Spot is that it does not like a lot of "noise" around it. The light is next to my computer with my monitor and that seemed to hurt it as well. Chauvet had me move the light away from this stuff, again nothing worked. Even now that it is working fine, when it is near all the electronics, things really seem to go a little fishy. Once the terminator is in, it works great.

DMX really adds some nice things to displays and I can't wait to keep adding more fixtures to my display.

Thank you for the update.. Glad to hear you have it resolved, and very glad you got started with enough time to get it all worked out in advance!!

Termination requirements do really depend on the particular hardware involved.. We contacted the vendor of our LED wall washes, that use the O-ring sealed DMX connectors with rings that screw down to pull the seal tight, and asked them about obtaining a terminator that would work with those connectors. Their response was "Why? We have customers with far more than the 15 units you are using in a chain, and have never heard of any issues where termination was needed"

So, it does appear to depend on the DMX hardware you are using, as well as cable quality, length, and ambient RF interference sources. But, without a doubt, if you are having issues, try installing termination.

• The topic was locked