Light-O-Rama Forums

what to buy to run PC-LESS in 2009

eldoradoboy

Ok i would Like to run my Show without a PC for 2009... do I just need to buy a DC-MP3 controller and connect all my PC controllers to it? im planning on going to 160+ channels as well as DMX for 09... can I do this without a direct run from the PC?

-Christopher

Yes, I think the only limitation is that those of us who do video have to use the computer. With all of the personal media players out there so inexpensive these days, I would think a DC-MP3/WMV may be on the horizon, though.

I ran my 2008 show on a mp3 sd card. I had 176 channels,9 songs with announcement between song. I also had music and announcement running during the off show hours. I ran great. I am switching to a computer this year so I can run Zara Radio during off hours and I am also going to do Video.

No, you can not do a show PCless and using the PC cards. You will need to bight the bullet and buy one of the ShowTime controllers and the MP3 card. Then what you do is you download your sequences onto the memory card and then install the card onto the ShowTime controller. All of your other controllers can be one of the PC type controllers. Now the ShowTime controller becomes a master controller and you will run it in the Stand Alone mode and it will send the commands out to the other controllers. Go and read up about the ShowTime controllers and the MP3 card.

I am sure about the above. What I am not sure about is the ability to broadcast the music. Read something, but it did not make sense to me. So, get more input about this part. Might call LOR and get some answers from the horse's mouth as they say.

Max

The director card with MP3 player or the mini director with MP3 player will work just fine with just PC series controllers...

The limitation on the PC series is that you can not load an animation sequence into the controller, and have it play without music, and without other hardware... The Director or Mini Director is other hardware.. I've use a pair of PC series controllers and a mini director with zero issues..

With the full size director, you need to provide a case, but the director has its own clock, and can run a show schedule. With the mini director, you get a case, but fewer trigger inputs, and no clock, so you need some external way to either trigger the show, or apply power to the mini director only when the show is to be run..

With either card, the music is available on an 1/8 inch stereo jack, which can be used with your transmitter or amplifier.

on a different note:

can the DC-mp3 control a mini- director ( without a relay triggering an input)

I am trying to find a way to control multiple networks PC-less

got it.. I will call LOR also and find out exactly what I need in the way of hardware.... but the idea of the outside trigger intrigues me.. as in the fact that I have a complete home automation system and would like the idea that a dry contact closure could trigger a show or even better trigger different shows...

in ohio in december we sometimes get HEAVY HEAVY rain... and even though i try my best ive never had a show not trip a GFCI in a long-term heavy rainstorm... so the idea that I could not trigger on thise days we receive a certain amount of rain yet triggr a "we're sorry" audio sequence is rather caught my mind....

as well as the fact of triggering a show based on sunset times as well... which an external trigger could do for me too..

sounds like LOTS more options than I ever had with AL... each day that goes by makes me happier that i made the LOR switch
-Christopher

bhays wrote:

Yes, I think the only limitation is that those of us who do video have to use the computer.

A computer can also control X10 devices.

• 2 weeks later...

Steven wrote:

bhays wrote:
Yes, I think the only limitation is that those of us who do video have to use the computer.

A computer can also control X10 devices.

Eldoradoboy and I both have home automation systems running Homeseer. No real need for LOR to control our static X10 devices.