Light-O-Rama Forums

Is anyone using an RS485 acitve hub with LOR

bhays

I would like to get away from the daisy chain network next season. I know LOR makes a repeather, but it seems to only be a two way.

I bought this active RS485 hub on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=110331844191

Is anyone using one of these with their LOR network? Just curious to see if it can be verified to work since my controllers are all in storage now and it's a bit of a hassle to test it right now.

I think there has been some discussion about this before. I remember a problem came into play with updating the controllers. I think the network will still work, however a lot of the update features will not.

It certainly is worth a try though.

Ponddude wrote:

I think there has been some discussion about this before. I remember a problem came into play with updating the controllers. I think the network will still work, however a lot of the update features will not.

That would make sense, I am pretty sure that hub is not bi-directional. Another cool feature is that there are channel disable jumpers, so you could isolate one network leg when troubleshooting...

Yes, that is the hub I had mentioned when this topic was brought up before. It should not give you any trouble. As far as updating your units, hasn't it been recommended that they be done one at a time anyhow? I know that would be a time consuming process if you have alot of controllers, but it would be the safest way to do it. Just food for thought. :)

I am sure I just got lucky, but I upgraded all of my controllers while all were powered on a week or so before Christmas. All went fine. The iDMX did go back to the default address of E0, but all of the others kept their unit id's, etc. just fine.

bhays wrote:

Ponddude wrote:

That would make sense, I am pretty sure that hub is not bi-directional. Another cool feature is that there are channel disable jumpers, so you could isolate one network leg when troubleshooting...

the hub has to be bi-directional in order for the boards to be recognized in the hardware utility

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

bhays wrote:
Ponddude wrote:

the hub has to be bi-directional in order for the boards to be recognized in the hardware utility

I already put all of my controllers in storage. I will get a couple and wire them through the hub to see if they are recognized in the hardware utility, etc. I will report back.