Light-O-Rama Forums

Continuous use

Ponddude

So I have a project planned for the early spring that would involve installing a fountain display. However, this would be constantly running all day and all night long. My question is, can the LOR hardware be used on a continuous basis? It would probably run from April until the end of September 24/7. I know most of us usually put up a display for a month or so and that only runs for a few hours a night.

Can the hardware handle this?

Ponddude wrote:

So I have a project planned for the early spring that would involve installing a fountain display. However, this would be constantly running all day and all night long. My question is, can the LOR hardware be used on a continuous basis? It would probably run from April until the end of September 24/7. I know most of us usually put up a display for a month or so and that only runs for a few hours a night.

Can the hardware handle this?

In theory, I would say yes. But even solid state wears out with time. You are still moving electrons from one side to another side of a P/N junction. Also something else that will cause the electronics involved with the turning on and off is the % of load in relation to the rated max load. And lastly, the enviroment. Is this going to be in a cool ventalated enviroment or out in the hot sun?

You did not mention the total project, just the fact that a fountain will be running 24 / 7 for 7 months. So, with just the info you gave, I have to ask, why not just plug it the fountain that is into a non-switched outlet?

Max

You could use the 9 channel fountain controller. Controls up to 3 PMSM pumps and 6 channels of LED lighting. Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor pumps are the type most commonly used in fountains and ponds. Both pumps and lights controlled from barely on to full power. LOR plans to offer both submersible pumps and submersible LED lighting.

Thanks guys for the answers. I actually did a very small fountain project last summer using a garden hose some sprinkler valves and 2 magnetic pumps. I have built ponds for a large portion of my life. I actually used my PC boards to control the pumps and the CMB16D for the sprinkler valves. It came out pretty cool.

My uncle is the landlord of an office building and outside is just a plain fountain. He has asked if I could do a much larger show that runs all the time. I would use the DC mp3 unit to load the shows and then use a few CMB16D's and a few PC boards to control the pumps. The show would run during the warmer spring/summer months. After that it would be over. The fountain is outdoors, but I still have to head over to the building and see where I would be storing the controllers. I know there is a "pump house" in the basement of the building for the current fountain, so I will most likely be able to use that.

I also know that LOR is coming out with the fountain controller, however there is very little information about it and I want to get the planning done and out of the way over the next week or two. Hopefully there will be some more info on most of the new products very quickly, as I have uses for a lot of them...LOL

Well blow me down. I hadnt really give it any thought to a water show. AKA taking a fountain and giving it some sparkle. Live and learn I says.

Thanks guys

Max