Light-O-Rama Forums

Using LOR CAT 5 on an existing CAT 5 home network

Brian Mahnke

Max-Paul wrote:

Duke wrote

I was thinking of going back thru a relay with dual contacts for both states open and closed then you could do whatever you want.
To close the loop I would make a terminator from a RJ45 on the end controller as Alan said.

Giving myself a V8 smack to the forehead. Alan hit it smack on the head of the nail. Much easier way of doing it for sure. I am thinking that what ever relay you use. You are going to want a high resistance coil to keep the current draw down and a voltage that will work with a wall wart? Execlent discussion!

Max

You could use an el cheapo car alarm siren (12volt) in conjunction with a N.C. relay and a wall wart to power it all as well. Total cost should be about $100. Disconnecting or cutting ANY of the network cables would de-energize the coil and power would then go through the N.C. contacts on the coil sounding the siren. Only 1 pair of wires needs to be used with that method and if the coil has a second set of isolated contacts rated for 120 volt, they could be used for a high powered strobe and some flood lights. Total chaos and panic! Oh and don't forget to de-energize the system if you need to disconnect the LAN cable for any reason. Your neighbors will hate you! :D