Light-O-Rama Forums

Error message when trying to start Sequence Editor for first time....

martymiller

Got the dreaded big red X when trying to load the LORSequence Editor for the first time. Error message in full reads:

Component 'wmp.dll' or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered. a file is missing or invalid.

I went through the whole install process and everything seemed fine. Hardware Utility works and I can test all of the lights and do all of the effects on all 16 channels. ?? What gives...

OK, so I should have done some reading as there are two separate threads on page two about this same error. Seems as if I need to upgrade my Windows Media Player to version 9 or 10. Here's my issue. I'm doing all my research, sequencing, etc. from my laptop which has Windows Vista with all the bells and whistles. The computer I'm using to play everything from is an old dinosaur care of my parents that's running Windows98. It has no internet access and probably doesn't have a current version of Windows Media Player if it has one at all. Is it possible to download an update from the Windows website and then put it on a USB drive and then upload it to the dinosaur or do I need to have internet access to get the newest version.

If I can't upload a new version onto the dinosaur, can I just do all my sequencing from the laptop then save the MP3 file and the .lor file to the USB drive and then upload them and play them from the older computer?

Always stinks when you get a new toy and open it and have it all ready to play with and it doesn't work the way it should out of the box. Need some help...

I want to say when you download it instead of hitting run, click save and just save it directly to a flash drive or whatever you have. Then just bring it over and find the setup file. This is how I downloaded and installed the driver for my soundcard.

Left my USB drive at work. I've downloaded the newest version to my harddrive. Tomorrow I will transfer it to the USB drive then transfer it on to the Windows98 machine and cross my fingers.

martymiller wrote:

Left my USB drive at work. I've downloaded the newest version to my harddrive. Tomorrow I will transfer it to the USB drive then transfer it on to the Windows98 machine and cross my fingers.

You mentioned twice in your comments about Windows 98. Does your computer have Windows 98 or Windows 98SE? The oldest operating system that LOR will run on at present is Windows 98SE. If your maching is Windows 98, then you have more of an issue.

Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I've been extremely busy with a new job promotion but things have settled down a little bit. Thats the good news. The bad news is that the dinosaur I scored from my parents free of charge is only running Microsoft Windows 98, not SE (although it does say Second Edition). Am I totally screwed? Is there a way to get a better, more current operating system loaded onto this computer? If so, how much will that run me? Thanks!