• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robin

• Tim Dorr

• George Simmons

• stanward

iresq wrote:

Tim, you have seen the new LED strobes? I am very interested in their intensity and look. I don't care so much that there is a slight delay so long as the lights flash in a random pattern. Is there link somewhere?

Dave, sorry to be slow in responding, but my mother-in-law has been seriously ill in the hospital and not much computer time available.

Yes, I live in the KC area, 15-20 minutes south of Paul's location. The last time I was there swapping out mini-lights, he showed me the new strobes. Of course I didn't have anything to compare with. I'll see if I can take some of Darryl's strobes with me and video a comparison of the two. I'll let everyone know if that can happen, but it won't happen for a little while. Probably week after next, but before the sale is over.

George Simmons wrote:

While this is my first year using strobes, my experience with Darryl's strobes is quite unsatisfactory. 20% of them arrive DOA.

It's a shame George, that your experience with Darryl's strobes were disappointing. I've had exactly the opposite experience. In 2007 I purchased 10 strobes from Darryl and they all worked that year and last year. In 2008 I purchased another 25 to use in my mega-tree. Two didn't work initially, but was able to fix one of them based on another thread on this or PC forum. I couldn't repair the other one, so sent an email to Darryl and two days later had a replacement in my hands that worked. No questions asked. Didn't have to send in the dead one to "prove" it was dead and wait for a replacement. He just mailed out a new one. I'm sure I could have asked for two replacements, but it was fun to tear into them to see what the insides looked like. It was a simple solder job to fix it. And all 25 worked throughout the last display season. So I'll buy more from Darryl.

Did you contact Darryl and communicate both the problem experienced and your dissatisfaction? If so, what was his response in trying to resolve your dilemma?

You know Tim it is not the fact that Darrel stands behind his products, he does without a doubt.

My problem is I buy stuff and when it comes in I place it in the stock room until time to set up. I don't even check my controllers until about two weeks prior to set up. I mean I do check the power and what have you but do not hook lights to test each channel. This year I have had several channel failures during the course of the year. Most I was able to work around and had a couple of spares. Only two of the boards were brand new. I will be sending them back for repairs in two weeks.

I just EXPECT new items to work. Call me funny but that is just the way I am with things. Last year I had seven strobes fail. Two the bases screwed right off. This year two bases screwed off but I was able to glue back on. My question is why do they come off so easily? Anyway I just want to try something that in my opinion could be a better product at a better price. Yet as with Dan and Darrel I know Paul will make it right if there is a problem.

help me out here......

Paul = CDI right?

Daryl = ???????

Action lighting = ??????

Christmas Light Show = ?????

people on these forums uses first names from time to time and I just can not seem to remember who is who. Have to make a cheat sheet!

Dan

Daryl = ChristmasLightShow

Travis = ledholidaylighting

Paul = CDI

I don't know who the contact person from actionlighting is.

Dan = LOR Dan

Thank you! It was getting very confusing for me as well.

taybrynn wrote:

Daryl = ChristmasLightShow

Travis = ledholidaylighting

Paul = CDI

I don't know who the contact person from actionlighting is.

Dan = LOR Dan

Sure.

And myself, Scott/taybrynn ... I did EDM (transmitter) group buys in 2008. I probably will have more in 2009 if EDM extends the group buy deal to us again.

Robin wrote:

I just EXPECT new items to work.

I hardily agree Robin. New items should work, and for more than one season. In fact, I purchased strobes from Darryl (Christmas Light Show) during his July 2008 sale. And when I got them, packed them away. Since the strobes purchased in 2007 worked without a hitch, why wouldn't these?

But then I saw a thread where people, who do test new items, had a problem with the strobes. I still procrastinated, thinking it won't happen to me. Did the same thing with the LEDs purchased from Paul (CDI-Creative Displays, Inc.) I saw the posts of people having trouble with LEDs, but since I plugged each string into an outlet when I got them and they worked, packed them away without a second thought. In both instances, more and more people chimed in with their problems. So I pulled out the strobes, plugged them in and found I was wrong. There was a problem. Same thing with the LEDs not liking the LOR environment.

So even though I continue to believe everything I purchase will work, or should work, I've been burned twice and will now do more extensive testing before the November set-up rolls around. If there is a problem, I've got a little time to get it rectified. And maybe it's another sign that things from China aren't always perfect. Hopefully 2009 will see a better quality product for everthing Christmas and we can go back to buying display items, packing them away, and pulling them out months later to find they do what they're suppose to do.

This was my first year. I purchased 30 curtain strobes from christmaslightshow.com. I put everything away this weekend. I had 10 failures out of 30 strobes. I think 33% failure rate in unacceptable!!. I am also looking for other ideas. I am going to need 150 strobes for next year.ANY IDEAS. How didi the LED"S work for everyone

i also will be interested in some strobes i went to CDI and the strobes are listed but know price how do i put in for the pre sale or maybe i should ask when does it start, do i need a special code? Thanks for the help

Tim Dorr wrote:

iresq wrote:
Tim, you have seen the new LED strobes? I am very interested in their intensity and look. I don't care so much that there is a slight delay so long as the lights flash in a random pattern. Is there link somewhere?

Dave, sorry to be slow in responding, but my mother-in-law has been seriously ill in the hospital and not much computer time available.

'll see if I can take some of Darryl's strobes with me and video a comparison of the two.

Today I went out to CDI, but Paul said the LED strobes had been sent to people for testing, so no video as planned. However, if you go to this post http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=28915&page=18, Terry has first reactions to the strobe and is going to take some video for the rest of us to see.

Tim,

My issue isn't with Darryl's service - it's with the product. I initially ordered 15 strobes. Three were DOA and a Fourth one was intermittent. I emailed Darryl and a week later I followed up with a phone call. He then sent three replacement strobes, two of which arrived DOA. I called him again and discussed it with him, intending to order more. He said he'd personally check to make sure the new strobes I was ordering worked prior to shipping and said he'd include a couple extra to make up for the replacement DOA's. When the strobes arrived, the shipment included only the newest ones I has ordered - no replacements for the previous replacements. On top of that, four of the new ones were DOA. So, in the end, I've still got about half a dozen that are NFG and of the 24 that actually got deployed in the yard (including the one that was intermittent) 7 failed during the season. (No sign of condensation in any) We can discuss endlessly whether his customer service efforts rate as indifferent, inadequate, or merely marginal but it's the product quality that has driven me to seek alternate products. I'm like Robin - when I order something I expect it to work. I dispense hearing aids for a living and I can assure you that if my products had a 40% failure rate, I wouldn't be in business no matter how good my customer service was.

George

George Simmons wrote:

My issue isn't with Darryl's service - it's with the product. 

I'm like Robin - when I order something I expect it to work.  I dispense hearing aids for a living and I can assure you that if my products had a 40% failure rate, I wouldn't be in business no matter how good my customer service was.

You are absolutely right, George. That is really bad news and I'd be unhappy too. Guess I just got lucky, because all 35 strobes still work at the end of the season. It will also make one stop and think about buying any more. Looks like there are alternatives for all of us this year.

George , Who does Darryl work for. I got mine from christmaslightshow.com and had a 33% failure rate. 10 bad out of 30. I am also not satisfied. Is this the same company or are you talking about another? I am trying to figure where to get them for next year, I need 150 of them. Thanks Don