• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robin

• Tim Dorr

• George Simmons

• stanward

It seems Creative Displays will be having a pre-order sale for LED strobes beginning this month.

cvlrs2000 wrote:

Where is the best place to purchase strobes????

cvlrs2000 wrote:

Where is the best place to purchase strobes????

Remember that all strobes are not created equal. The LED strobes from CDI have a slight delay before they start flashing, while the strobes from Christmas Lights Show flash immediately when power is applied. And the flash rate is slower for the CDI strobes than the Christmas Lights Show strobes. The CDI strobes come in colors, while Christmas Lights Show is just the "normal" clear.

I've only used the strobes from Christmas Lights Show and am very pleased with them. But I've also seen the CDI strobes and may add some of them to this year's show.

So it depends on the look you want, which is unique to each of us. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Ok this might be a dumb question but i have only seen these strobes in action and have not been able to take a close look. you buy the strobes and then obvisiouly you have to put them in a light strand???

this is where i am confused becuase I see the lights but not sure what youreally do with it from there.

thanks

Jeremy

Jeremy, the strobes being discussed here simply screw into C9 sockets.

Tim, you have seen the new LED strobes? I am very interested in their intensity and look. I don't care so much that there is a slight delay so long as the lights flash in a random pattern. Is there link somewhere?

Let's talk about the flash rate on Darrel's strobes.

They are no faster than 2-3 per second. I have timed different ones and that is about how fast they flash.

They will continue to flash right after channel has been turned off like all strobes.

I have always had about 5% failure rate each year over year. I know where to drill the holes so don't go there.

I am not a fan of the screw in type as much as the cords, especially when using them on the ground.

The price of the group buy is half what the normal strobes are so I think I am going to give them a try this year.

Darrel's strobes are good but honestly just not real happy with durability.

Oh and be careful screwing them in. A little too tight and you will need to re-glue the base.

Oh and if any of you have trouble with them working in the Action Lighting sockets just grind about 1/8 inch off the socket and they will work fine.

the LED ones are also said to be a bit slower in flash rate 2-3 times per second instead the the Christmas Light Show ones at about 3-4 times per second. Then again the LED ones come in colors. I have the Christmas light Show ones, but was planning on picking up one or two of the LED ones to play with. I wonder what it would look like to mix the usual ones with a few blue LED ones...

Tell you what, you grab a few of your strobes and a watch and then tell me they are flashing at 3-4 a second.

When Darrel first started hacking those strobes five years ago the flash rate was increased by a flash or two. But I have counted them and I am sure that they do not flash four times by the time I can say one thousand one.

I only have 50 or so and maybe they are just getting slower.

Robin, I agree with the flash rate and failure rate. I did not think Paul had the new LED's yet. I will make a blind order but would really like to see them first.

Tim Dorr said he saw them. I am hopping he will respond back.

Heydenp, I don't see a problem with mixing colors. I kinda like the idea.

CVLRS, you would have to either use zip cord and sockets or cut off some sockets from a junk strand and make your own.

I think the blue ones would look pretty cool myself. Either mixed with clear ones or by themselves.

He we all buy blind from time to time.

I am going to buy some 25 watt ones later this summer. Seal them up good and try them out. You can adjust the flash rate on those to where they are smoking. Litterally.

Robin, what do you think of the Action Lighting strobes? I used 48 of them this year and I have to say, I liked them. Much more durable than the the strobes you mention(I have 10 of those and compared to the AL strobes, they just feel cheap).

The only think about the AL strobes is the slower flash rate. I can live with that though because you just add a few more and that makes up for it in my book.

AL also has many different colored strobes. I'm going to try the Red and Gold next year to go with my Clear.

-Jeff

Have not used them. Like I said I have nothing against Darrel's strobes. I just want to try something different. Something that may last longer. Besides you can get past the slow flash rate if you have two or three together.

I can vouch for the 2-3 flashes per second and with the failure rate with Darrels strobes. I have about 70 of them and they are exactly as Robin stated. I use the Action Lighting sockets as well. I'm going to give CDI's a try this season also.
The pre-order price of the strobes at least demand a look.

Robin, sorry for the assumption. With how big your display is and how you seemed to have been around a while, I thought you would have tried the Action Lighting ones too.

And I'd love to try the CDI LED strobes but I just have a hard time believing they will be as "flashy" as standard strobes. (It's just a gut feeling so I could be completely wrong.) ;)

-Jeff

Why sorry? Size of display and length of doing displays means little. Just gives you a little more experience that's all. To be honest with you all I think all these little strobes are over priced. I mean honestly $6-$7 for a single strobe.

That is why I am going to try these LEDs of Pauls. If they are like everything else he sells they are quality products. If they are not quite as bright you can more than make up for it on volume at the bulk buy price. Given they are LEDs and they seem to be brighter than most lights, I think they might be ok.

One thing I know for sure, in the past I only order a dozen at a time but with this price and the fact it is like a 2 for one compared to the others I think I am going to go for 100 of them. Finally, will be able to put the strobes where I want them.

If they are not as bright then will work on something. I just wish he had them in plug style too.

We have LED strobes on our latest fire engine. They are very bright and since led's turn on and off so fast, produce a very quick flash.

I, too, would like the see these. For the price, I will order a couple dozen. If they work well this year then I will buy more.

I am hoping after these have shipped, we can have a color swapping party.

Does anyone have a sample that could demo them to others?

I agree, so pricey ... that these sound worth a shot just based on price alone.

I'm having a hard time believing that LED(s) can be that bright, but if a fire engine
has them ... well they must be bright!

taybrynn wrote:

I'm having a hard time believing that LED(s) can be that bright, but if a fire engineha s them ... well they must be bright!

Yes, indeed. Maybe I'll try a few dozen too. I agree... normal strobes are way, WAY overpriced.

-Jeff

While this is my first year using strobes, my experience with Darryl's strobes is quite unsatisfactory. 20% of them arrive DOA. Of those that survived to make it into the display, not one has shown any moisture issues (probably because it only got above freezing once since Thanksgiving) and still one third of them has failed during the season. I'm ready for something else and can't wait to get some of Paul's and try them out.