Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about sequencing

Ponddude

Alright, so next year I am taking the big plunge and adding video and two DMX fixtures. I am pretty certain that I will be adding the Chauvet Min Spot. It isn't completely out of my price range and it does a lot of things I would like it to do. I have been spending most of the day (got to love vacation) reading up on DMX and how it works. I have a fairly good understanding of it, I think. Most question now is how I handle all this with LOR.

I think, and correct me if I am wrong, that I just create the amount of channels that the DMX fixture uses in the Sequence Editor. So, for the Min Spot, there is either 13 or 5 channel configurations. I would probably use the 5 channel version, so I would create those three channels in the SE...correct?

Now, if that is what I do, then how to I give the DMX fixture its ID?

Does anyone know if there is an LOR Primer around or if someone has a nice amount of detail on their website?

The easiest way is to leave the default address on the iDMX100, which is E0. Then you can set those 5 (or 13) channels to Crtlr E0 and then use channels 1-5 (or 1-13). That's what I'm doing for my DMX fixtures for Christmas and Halloween displays. It's a piece of cake to set up, and easy to sequence... unless you have moving head lights (or scanners)... anything that moves is a bit of a challenge to sequence and visualize in LOR, since LOR has no way to show the movements of your effect.

Other than that, go for it. DMX can add a lot to your display!

D.T.

That is what I figured with the moving spots. That is what I plan on using, which is why I am basically starting now. That way I can sequence a bunch of stuff, have the peramiters set and just copy and paste for most songs.

Thanks for the info!

I set mine up just as Dave does. I also have two yolks and a scanner and for me, the easiest way to sequence them is don't. That is, don't do it while I am sequencing everything else. I waited until I had them set up outside and then did the sequencing in place. I haven't sequenced any since the latest LOR update, but it should be easier now. I won't have to sit there with a couple charts of LOR and DMX values, converting back and forth.

I can't see any way to sequence the moving fixtures without actually having them set up and watching the movements to get the spots to shine where you want them.

If you are going to sequence them with out having the actually set up you need to know a few things.

Your moving light yolk needs to be set up EXACTLY (measure it, mark it, write it down) where it will be during show time. Then you need to have your idmx hooked up and use your computer to move the light yolk to the furtherest right location you want the light to move and log that value do the same with left, up, and down. You may even want to know the value that puts the light on a certain object or dead center.

As far as I know there is no visual aid to show on your computer screen as to what the light will actually be doing.

• The topic was locked