Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 1602W

Tim Herberger

Looked out the window tonight to check on the traffic conditions and the show and noticed that 1/3 of my mega tree was out, that is both sides of 1 controller. After checking the breakers and GFCIs and all were still on, out to the tree I went ,to crawl into the maze of lights to get to the controllers. There was no red light , went to check the fuse and could not remove it from holder. I pulled the front cover with the switch and fuse holders and discovered that the holder was completely melted and the insulated lugs that push on to the holder were melted and black, the fuse was still good.

Luckily I have a spare controller that I pulled a holder from, had the mega tree back to full power in 15 minutes, I not sure if any of the dozen cars watching even noticed that there was anything wrong.

I do not have much confidence in these holders, I had a problem last year with one as well, the lights were flickering at times. It was the holder, the fuse was arcing at the bottom, I discovered the problem before any damage was done. It seems that the cap of the holders are too tight around the fuse and not allowing the spring to push on the fuse and make good contact at the base of the holder. I may just remove the front panel mount fuse holders and use the ones that are on the boards.

I had the same problem with one of my controllers too. The type of fuse holder that is Black with the fuse cap that is gray with the screwdriver slot in it. Wound up destroying the holder getting the fuse out and just wired an Inline holder to replace it. Not too sure about these panel mounted fuses.