Light-O-Rama Forums

My Morning at Walmart

Salts

I don't think you can dim the box store lights

I know that the '08 walmart 60ct (5mm) LEDs dim really well with LOR. Actually as
good as the minis, but at a slightly different ramp rate.

I think most folks with larger displays ... that started with lots of minis ... will stay for quite a while longer, because of the economics described by Robin above. Even myself, really just getting going 2008 ... can't justify the 10x cost of doing LED(s), when I still have spare capacity in my power panel.

It is true that if I converted all my C9(s), I would turn 22 amps of usage into 2 amps ... but it would also cost me $400 to do it. Another 20 amp circuit breaker is only $3 .

I did pay $40 more for power this year vs. 2007 ... but again, that would be a 10 year pay back if you assumed removing the C9(s) would revert my power usage to 2007 levels (which is a doubtful assumption, since the C9s only represent 20.3% of my total power consumption in 2008.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• displaysinmotion_will

• stanward

• bhays

• Videoguy84

Nice catch!!!

Sent your pictures to my sister-in-law in Indiana and told her if she wants to computerize next year she better hurry to her Wal-Mart before you guys get there. :)

So if you start in June will you have all those lights up by Christmas?

stanward wrote:

How were you able to purchase so many cases? Did you have them bring out a pallet jack for you????? Otherwise, that is a lot of shopping carts huh?

2 1/2 hours of sorting and loading them on flat bed carts, i just walked in made them an offer if i were to buy it all, it looked like there was maybe 600-700 at the most boy was i wrong!

You mean you can bargain with WalMart? Did you get it cheaper than 50% off?

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

2 1/2 hours of sorting and loading them on flat bed carts, i just walked in made them an offer if i were to buy it all, it looked like there was maybe 600-700 at the most boy was i wrong!

WOW, 70% off is a HUGE discount!

I guess since you bought a very large quantity, and the manager was open about it.

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

doesnt hurt to ask, so i gave them a low ball offer and they came back to about 70% off

Update: I Bought 10 boxes of Multi LED today. Along with some Clips and C7 stakes! 14,650 lights I bought after Christmas so far! 2009 will be great! Cant wait LOL! Next stop, at least 2 controllers.

Bryan wrote:

Same here but at 6am sharp!

48 clear

48 green

48 red

total: 14,400

Happy New years to all, after a late night i was at wal mart early this morning to try and up my on hand light count but no 75% off yet, i talked to a half dozen people and got a half dozen answers so all i could find out here is it will be some time this week so i guess i'll have to stop by on the way to work, i was able to pick up a few boxes at menards last week but nothing to what i'd like to have OH WELL

the walmarts in oklahoma are going to 75 percent off tonight at 12:01 am. I would guess that would be the same everywhere.

jeremy

Thanks Jeremy, they had quite a lot left here but may be i will go over tonight in stead of early tomorrow and get the stuff I'm looking for i would hate it if it were all gone in the morning, Thanks again

cvlrs2000 wrote:

the walmarts in oklahoma are going to 75 percent off tonight at 12:01 am. I would guess that would be the same everywhere.

jeremy

yep same here..... bhays, nkyspike65 and myself were out at the stores preparing our carts for midnight!

but we all had to get the managers to change the price because the prices had not changed right at midnight

The Walmart in St. Cloud, FL not only didn't have the 75% off price, their lights were ringing up at FULL price and they called a manager and he said he wasn't changing the price. So, the lights and all the other stuff I was going to buy is hopefully still sitting there in the aisle where I left it.

bisquit476 wrote:

The Walmart in St. Cloud, FL not only didn't have the 75% off price, their lights were ringing up at FULL price and they called a manager and he said he wasn't changing the price. So, the lights and all the other stuff I was going to buy is hopefully still sitting there in the aisle where I left it.

thats because the system was being updated in order to load 75% while we were checking out the new prices were being loaded

Yep, the employees at my local Wal Mart were as rude as I have ever seen, wouldn't get me a bigger cart, blah, blah, blah... They were actually noticeably angry that I knew the price changed at midnight rather than 6:00am..

Only thing I still need are candy canes (the actual candy ones to hand out) they didn't go to 75% off and the manager wouldn't budge... I though I heard them mutter something about the 5th... so I will go snag those then.. there are four cases not even opened.

The local WalMart here in Hilo had a crappy selection at the start of the season. The only lights left are the 100 mini red incadescent light strings and a few net lights.

It's still 8:52pm now, not midnight yet.........

Stan

I went into our Walmart at 6:30am this morning and walked away happy. ;) I bought two more large and small lighted Christmas present sets, a "bunch" more $0.50 wreaths, a "few" more green garlands, and a "bunch" of little things for the kiddos.

I love 75% off. :D

-Jeff

good morning, i was able to go over last night about 12;30 and the mgr was just getting the signing out but all prices had been changed, i only bought 15 boxes of each color for 75 boxes 100 per string and the moving teeter tooter, and one of the Light up Christmas gift boxes sets they found a couple of pallets of them any how now need to get ready for next year lots of planning

So at 8am this morning, the mgr came around and marked everything 75% off. It was funny because I was the only there last year ... and again this year ... and both times, I was standing there when she came around with the 75% off tags.

And I think she must know I'm more than just a little interested in lights.

Got a couple cases of white and a case of multi. ALso got some green on white at Hobbly Lobby (66% still). BTW, Home Depot was also at 75% off ... but didn't have much left.