Light-O-Rama Forums

Help! Unit shuts down when all lights on!

costa

This was working fine until about an hour ago:

One of my units has decided that when all lights are turned on, it will shut them off.

If 15 are on (no matter which 15) then the lights stay on. If all 16 are on, they will turn on for a split second and then turn off. If I put the intensity to 71%, then all can stay on.

Units are CTB16D ver 4.01

Any ideas???

You may be having the same type of problem that I am. Here is the link to the thread:
http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=18377&forum_id=76&jump_to=168162

What it is coming down to a commincations problem because of too much noise on the network cable. You may want to make sure your communications cables are as far as possible from the power cords.

Just a thought,
Todd

I ran into this Same issue on one of my controllers last year.. granted it was an AL controller however it turned out that I was drawing just too many total amps for my feed extension cord to handle so it was causing the the input voltage to drop just enough to reset the controller which resulted in a split second where the lights came on and then went right off... I installed a second extension cord to that feed and wa-la no more issue..
-Christopher

I had an issue in 2005 where water had gotten into a flood light holder, which was connected to a LOR channel. When any power (even 1%) was applied to that channel, it would blow the fuse. I somehow managed to damage the triac as a result.

You mentioned things are covered in snow right now. This might be something you want to check on.

I never blew any fuses... it wasnt that the breaker or the controller was overloaded.. it was that the extension cord feeding it was too small... so when I kicked a lot of lights on I caused a voltage drop significant enough the power supply regulators in the logic part of the controller dropped voltage enough the micro processor in it reset which turned off all the lights after a split second...
-Christopher

Funny thing today...I went to check in the morning to see if I could figure out whats going on now that I have some light and I am not freezing outside...

Guess what...everything is working fine. All the lights come on and stay on! That's just weird. Hope they behave when the night comes and the show begins :?

• 2 weeks later...

eldoradoboy,

I was about to bet the farm on your cure. I still think that there is a possibility that you were on the mark anyway. It is possible that some snow was bridging between the hot and netural leads either at the source or load, but not enough to pop a fuse or breaker. But enough to get that I*R voltage drop you mentioned.

Max

Gee aint electricity just wonderful stuff to trouble shoot. Esp those problems that come and go, and come and go. ect..